Deformity near hinge on new MBP

kevo0822

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
New England
I just noticed this deformity on my 2016 13" MBP. I've had the computer since November but just noticed this today (maybe it's been there for longer and I just didn't see it). It's slightly raised and the regular pattern of it makes me think that it's due to something inside the case pushing outward. I'm really careful with it, so I don't think I could've caused it somehow. Anyone have any idea what's happening?
IMG_3226.JPG IMG_3225.JPG

Sanpete

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
There was a similar photo some weeks ago. I suspect it's from stress from the hinge, given that both were along the hinge. I'd take it into the Apple Store for a replacement lid.

kevo0822

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
New England
There was a similar photo some weeks ago. I suspect it's from stress from the hinge, given that both were along the hinge. I'd take it into the Apple Store for a replacement lid.
I just saw the photo someone posted earlier thanks to the "similar threads" feature at the bottom! Yeah, it's definitely the exact same thing... same pattern and everything. I guess I'll make an Apple Store appointment and see what they say!

Thanks guys!

Reactions: Sanpete

dmn8

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2007
I posted this and have been twice. Both times reporting that it most likely was caused by dropping it somehow. It most definitely is a stress mark from something inside the lid pressing out. Glad to see another issue - will be scheduling a visit again. I'll post some more images tomorrow.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Dunno if it's related but I just saw something that looks like that but not that big on my Late 2013" 15" and I remember this thread. What do you guys think ?

Attachments

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
It does appear to be a stress induced deformity. Could it been caused by heavy books pressing up against it in a backpack?

kevo0822

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
New England
I posted this and have been twice. Both times reporting that it most likely was caused by dropping it somehow. It most definitely is a stress mark from something inside the lid pressing out. Glad to see another issue - will be scheduling a visit again. I'll post some more images tomorrow.
Just went to the Apple Store tonight and they also INSISTED that I had dropped the laptop!! "Furious" doesn't even begin describe my mood right now...

Sanpete

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
It seems dropping it would leave a dent, not just a mark like you have. Did you speak to a supervisor? You should, maybe by phone if it's more convenient.

Reactions: bagdan10

dmn8

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2007
Update for everyone - the mark has increased in size, I went and met with a Genius and explained that I don't agree that it was dropped, there is something pressing against it under stress. He was very cooperative and sent it out to be repaired, documenting it as a cosmetic issue. He didn't guarantee that it would be fixed, he said they might contact me to say it wasn't covered and give me an option to pay for it if I wanted. Couple days later machine was ready for pickup. New display assembly, including lid, all looks great.

Just recommend that you are honest and ask for help.

kevo0822

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
New England
Update for everyone - the mark has increased in size, I went and met with a Genius and explained that I don't agree that it was dropped, there is something pressing against it under stress. He was very cooperative and sent it out to be repaired, documenting it as a cosmetic issue. He didn't guarantee that it would be fixed, he said they might contact me to say it wasn't covered and give me an option to pay for it if I wanted. Couple days later machine was ready for pickup. New display assembly, including lid, all looks great.

Just recommend that you are honest and ask for help.
That's really good to hear. I guess I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. I just really resent being told that I damaged the notebook when I KNOW I didn't.