Deformity near hinge on new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kevo0822, Apr 5, 2017.

1. kevo0822 macrumors 6502

I just noticed this deformity on my 2016 13" MBP. I've had the computer since November but just noticed this today (maybe it's been there for longer and I just didn't see it). It's slightly raised and the regular pattern of it makes me think that it's due to something inside the case pushing outward. I'm really careful with it, so I don't think I could've caused it somehow. Anyone have any idea what's happening?
    IMG_3226.JPG IMG_3225.JPG

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

There was a similar photo some weeks ago. I suspect it's from stress from the hinge, given that both were along the hinge. I'd take it into the Apple Store for a replacement lid.

3. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

4. kevo0822 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just saw the photo someone posted earlier thanks to the "similar threads" feature at the bottom! Yeah, it's definitely the exact same thing... same pattern and everything. I guess I'll make an Apple Store appointment and see what they say!

Thanks guys!

5. dmn8 macrumors member

I posted this and have been twice. Both times reporting that it most likely was caused by dropping it somehow. It most definitely is a stress mark from something inside the lid pressing out. Glad to see another issue - will be scheduling a visit again. I'll post some more images tomorrow.

6. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Dunno if it's related but I just saw something that looks like that but not that big on my Late 2013" 15" and I remember this thread. What do you guys think ?

Attached Files:

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It does appear to be a stress induced deformity. Could it been caused by heavy books pressing up against it in a backpack?

8. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

I carry my MBP in a backpack daily since I bought it in 2014.

9. kevo0822 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just went to the Apple Store tonight and they also INSISTED that I had dropped the laptop!! "Furious" doesn't even begin describe my mood right now...

10. Sanpete macrumors 68020

It seems dropping it would leave a dent, not just a mark like you have. Did you speak to a supervisor? You should, maybe by phone if it's more convenient.

11. dmn8 macrumors member

Update for everyone - the mark has increased in size, I went and met with a Genius and explained that I don't agree that it was dropped, there is something pressing against it under stress. He was very cooperative and sent it out to be repaired, documenting it as a cosmetic issue. He didn't guarantee that it would be fixed, he said they might contact me to say it wasn't covered and give me an option to pay for it if I wanted. Couple days later machine was ready for pickup. New display assembly, including lid, all looks great.

Just recommend that you are honest and ask for help.

12. kevo0822 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's really good to hear. I guess I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. I just really resent being told that I damaged the notebook when I KNOW I didn't.