Defrag not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alphaod, Jan 2, 2009.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm trying to get Drive Genius 2 to defrag my HDD.

It won't work on my computer since it's can't run the utility on the current boot volume; the bootable disc doesn't work because it doesn't support the Penryn and newer computers.

What I don't understand it why the program won't run off an externally install volume? In other words, I installed Leopard on an external HDD, install Drive Genius 2 and trying to run the defrag utility off of that. Since I'm running off an external I've overcome the limitation of not being able to defrag my boot volume since the internal is now an "external" volume.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

3. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I already tried the updates and they don't work. :(

Oh I should have realized someone would ask ;)

Need to move files around to partition the drive.

4. emt1 macrumors 65816

You really like to make things more difficult than they are, don't you?

Partition using Disk Utility.. don't worry about defraging... you aren't going to lose anything.

5. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

…

I'm trying to partition my drive for BootCamp; BootCamp assistant tell me it can't move files around and partition the drive, so I need to back up my volume and restore it (AKA use Time Machine). This would technically move all my files close together which is what a defrag utility does.

This is why I need to defrag my drive, so I can skip the restore process which is very tedious because Time Machine has to verify all the files first then it has to restore to the HDD for maximum file performance which is very slow. Slow as in hours to no end. I've done it before—it took a whole day last time with half the volume size.

I just want some help in getting Drive Genius 2 to actually work.

Thanks for your help anyways.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Emailing the company that made the software sounds like a great idea to me.

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I'm just a bit confused here by what you have said-- have you actually tried booting from an external and running it from there or are you saying you have and it won't run? :confused:

The reason I ask is that utility programs of that type are commonly run that way, and in the case of Disk Warrior they recommend in their support notes that you run it from an external disk if the current edition CD (now DVD) won't boot your system and you wish to run it on the normal internal boot drive. I have never needed to do that with DG II but suspect it would work fine as well- and will probably try it later just to see for sure.

8. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah I tried all possible solutions I could think of including running from an external drive, running from an external HDD installation, running from bootable disc, and running from bootage disc restored to a external HDD.

None of them work. I guess the next step would have to be emailing the software maker, but I was hoping it would be easier solved by asking one of y'all knowledgeable folks.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Well they do have far more experience with the product than we have. Let us know what they say.