Defrag Or something like that ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rm2092, Jun 17, 2008.

1. rm2092 macrumors 6502

rm2092

Just wondering if there is a defrag program like windows that cleans up your computer after months of useing diffirent programs ? Not sure I said that right but I hope you know what I mean just to keep things running smooth, thanks.... I did look around but did not see anything.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

iDefrag. OSX will do most of the defragging itself, however.

3. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

If I recall correctly, OS X will automatically defrag files <20 on the fly. Generally, defragging will slow your computer down more than speed it up, so I would recommend not doing it. Most Mac users have never done a defrag on their machines and they run as fast as the day they got them :)

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Apple urges you not to use a utility to defrag your hard drive. As Luigi239 said, it can do more harm than good. Save your money for something more worthwhile.

5. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Defrag your 10.5 Safari cache

If you don't get a disk defragger, then manually defragging your Safari cache is a good idea. OS X won't do it, because it is 180MB.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=5053757&postcount=6

Backing and fully restoring your drive is also a way to defrag, although, ironically, it won't defrag your Safari cache if you use Time Machine, because Time Machine doesn't back up caches, thus they start growing (and fragmenting anew)

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

or you just just delete your cache.....

7. Amdahl macrumors 65816

And while you're at it, just format your hard disk.

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

This is totally different. A cache will be fragmented in a matter of hours anyway. Besides when is the whole cache accessed at one time?

9. Amdahl macrumors 65816

If that is true, then why delete the cache?

No, once the cache reaches 180MB, it doesn't significantly change size. So once you defrag it, it stays that way. The whole cache is never accessed at one time, but that doesn't change the fact that having it fragmented results in more seeks than a non-fragmented file. If most of the file is in a single track, a drive can read it in a single revolution (on big cache hard drives), even if only one part was initially requested.

10. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I'm a big fan of the tools in Drive Genius 2, however most (including the defrag) require the machine you want to work on be in Target Disk Mode so you need two Macs (which I no longer have).

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

If you delete it when its rebuilt you have a higher chance of it being put into one section. It may not change size but its contents change everytime you visit a website. So it really depends on your browsing habits. If you visit the same sites day in and day out. Then yes defrag would be usefull. If your like me and visit many many different sites on a daily basis then defraging it wouldn't help a whole lot.

12. Amdahl macrumors 65816

That chance is always zero, because when you delete it, it simply grows each time you access something new, and each time it grows, it adds a new fragment. The problem is fundamental to the SQLite library.

Firefox 3 has the problem in spades, but at least on OS X, most Firefox files are less than 20MB, therefore OS X defragments them automatically.