Defrag program for OS9 on PowerBook G3

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
I was given a PowerBook G3 Wallstreet today to get up and running. It is running system 9 and I am after a free disk defragmenting application.

Has anyone got any suggestions ?

aussie_geek

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
aussie_geek said:
I was given a PowerBook G3 Wallstreet today to get up and running. It is running system 9 and I am after a free disk defragmenting application.

Has anyone got any suggestions ?

aussie_geek
First off, I am aware of no free defragging utility for MacOS 9. You may consider a veteran version of TechTools or Norton SystemWorks 2.0. MacOS X gets a lot of credit for not needing a commercial defrag utility. MacOS 9 is also highly robust against system slowdowns and file loss due to file fragmentation. The take away message is that a defrag utility is not a must-have for MacOS 9.

Comment

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
MisterMe said:
First off, I am aware of no free defragging utility for MacOS 9. You may consider a veteran version of TechTools or Norton SystemWorks 2.0. MacOS X gets a lot of credit for not needing a commercial defrag utility. MacOS 9 is also highly robust against system slowdowns and file loss due to file fragmentation. The take away message is that a defrag utility is not a must-have for MacOS 9.
I posted the same question on the Apple discussions forum and someone came up with a good idea. I will try networking it with my Albook and copying everything from the Wallstreet onto the Albook's HD, reformatting the Wallstreet HD, and copying everything back to it. What do you think? - Sounds pretty good - a project for this Weekend :)

aussie_geek

Comment

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
aussie_geek said:
I posted the same question on the Apple discussions forum and someone came up with a good idea. I will try networking it with my Albook and copying everything from the Wallstreet onto the Albook's HD, reformatting the Wallstreet HD, and copying everything back to it. What do you think? - Sounds pretty good - a project for this Weekend :)

aussie_geek
I think it is a waste of your time.

Comment