Defrag

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CJRhoades, Dec 27, 2007.

1. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

My old powerbook g4's 30gb hard drive is about 120mb off from being completely full and I'm looking for a good defrag program for it this is free and won't totally destroy my computer. Yes, I know that OS X defrags itself but only on files that meet certain criteria. I looked into iDefrag but I don't want to spend any $. Any suggestions?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Much more than defragging, you desperately need to free up some space on that drive. I'm surprised you haven't started running into real problems with that little free space available.

3. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

No, its doesnt just defrag on certain files. Try to ensure that around 10-20% of disk space is free and you should see an improvement. You dont need to defragment. This topic has already been discussed in other threads, do a search on this forum and you'll see all the discussions.

4. CJRhoades thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats odd. On the apple support pages it showed 5 requirements for files to be automatically defragmented.

Oh... and I meant 1200MB from being completely full...

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Aim for more still. 5GB would be great. :)

6. CJRhoades thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes your right. 5GB would be great. Except that I can't free up 5GB. It's not that all the space is being used up from apps that are not needed. All of the space that is currently being used is necessary. I won't go into detail as to why but it is...

I guess I should upgrade to a larger HD...

But still, anybody know any free Defrag apps?

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Even if OSX didn't defragment your drive on the go, doing so would be far less beneficial than freeing up space for your swap files. Defragging your drive is generally unnecessary in OSX. In some instances it even makes the machine slower. In your case I think it would be a very bad idea since you have barely any free space in the first place. Mate, you've really gotta buy an external or a larger drive to put some of your stuff! :)

8. CJRhoades thread starter macrumors 6502

Alas... I'm going to get a small external drive. But, I'm wondering how well it will work with this old FireWire 400 Port...