Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2002
GA
What are you guys using to defragment OS X?

I understand that OS X drives get badly fragmented, and I am seeing the spinning color wheel more often and longer. Evidently the new Norton product, which I was waiting for, is a disaster. I use Xoptimize, which is nice, but I get the impression its not really a defragmenter.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I have never defragged an OS X drive. Does that make me a bad person?

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
you should boot from OS 9 and then use diskwarrior cause its the best
but I like techtool pro cause I didn't know about diskwarrior at the time

sjs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2002
GA
falleron

Other Mac sites have reported disastrous results from the new Norton Systemworks 2.0. ("disastrous" not used lightly.)

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
utilities...

U can run Norton from the CD...I wouldn't install it on the disc...it has to be able to unmount the hd before working on it...and if u are running an application from the hd...hence it cannot unmount.

I have OS 9 & X on separate partitions on my Ti. So when I want to work on my X partition, I just startup in 9 and run the disc from there. I only have to actually startup from the CD when I want to run the utilities on my 9 partition (as Norton SystemWorks 1.0 isn't OS X native...the newer v. 2.0 is however).

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I have both Norton SystemWorks versions, as well as DiskWarrior 2 and TechTool Pro 3. I only let Norton optimize my drive, since it does a better job at it, as well as faster. I let DiskWarrior do it's thing, when I need to. As for TechTool Pro there are a few items that I disable, such as virus checking, version checking/compatibility, and it's optimization feature. Of the thousands of times I have run Norton Utilities, mostly version 6, since 7 just came out for OS X, I have not once had it do anything bad to a drive.

System performace, especially under OS X, increases when I have finished the full set of utilities.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by AlphaTech
System performace, especially under OS X, increases when I have finished the full set of utilities.

I can attest to this when running Norton Utilities & then Speed Disk...hell yeah!!!

sjs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2002
GA
At this point should I buy Norton Utilities for OS9?
Or wait for the OSX version to get the bugs out?

I am mainly interested in the disk services, although at this time I also don't have any anti-virus protection.

(BTW, at work on my Windows NT4 computers I have full Norton stuff. Windows without anti-virus and you would literally destroy your computer. I once had a virus so bad in my Dell Latitude that the computer had to go to Dell for a fix. Even a MS cert tech could not repair it. As it was older I just pitched it...)

Back to my question at the top...?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by sjs
At this point should I buy Norton Utilities for OS9?
Or wait for the OSX version to get the bugs out?

I am mainly interested in the disk services, although at this time I also don't have any anti-virus protection.

Get NSW2, which has versions for both OS 9 and OS X on the cd. Once you have it, when updates are posted, you get the minor ones free, and the major (such as NSW3) at the upgrade price (I go direct to Symantec to order them, since I won't have to deal with coupons and rebates then). I have been using Norton since I purchased my first Mac back in 97. I have had them fix more then a few critical errors, and not once cause any. With proper use, it will keep your computer happy and healthy for many years to come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.