Defunct '08 MBP - options?

shr631

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
162
74
Hi All,

Have an early 2008 15" MacBook Pro (2.3, 256, 2GB RAM upgraded to 4GB).

3-4 weeks ago, the graphics card failed & Genius barista said the entire logic board must be replaced. Apple considers it "vintage" but can still replace it for a flat $300. This is too expensive for me.

Does anyone suggest other options? Here in NYC there are some places that might be able to fix it cheaper. But any other ideas? Should I sell it for parts?

Thanks,
 

Laco

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
375
1
Hi All,

Have an early 2008 15" MacBook Pro (2.3, 256, 2GB RAM upgraded to 4GB).

3-4 weeks ago, the graphics card failed & Genius barista said the entire logic board must be replaced. Apple considers it "vintage" but can still replace it for a flat $300. This is too expensive for me.

Does anyone suggest other options? Here in NYC there are some places that might be able to fix it cheaper. But any other ideas? Should I sell it for parts?

Thanks,
$300 for a new logic board plus work is a very good price. Personally I would just sell it and buy something new, but that really depends on your budget.
 

shr631

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
162
74
$300 for a new logic board plus work is a very good price. Personally I would just sell it and buy something new, but that really depends on your budget.
Hi Laco, I was thinking about that. But gazelle suggests it's worth less than $200, so I'd rather explore other options or maybe part it out. Do you know where I can sell it for a higher price?

As for buying something new, I got the 11" and 13" MBA's and I'm deciding on which one I'll keep. They're both awesome btw.

Thanks
 

Laco

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
375
1
Hi Laco, I was thinking about that. But gazelle suggests it's worth less than $200, so I'd rather explore other options or maybe part it out. Do you know where I can sell it for a higher price?

As for buying something new, I got the 11" and 13" MBA's and I'm deciding on which one I'll keep. They're both awesome btw.

Thanks
Since you already have a replacement. I would certainly just sell it for parts, maybe, on Ebay.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.