Degradation of SSD speed- Solutions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eron, Jun 20, 2009.

1. eron macrumors 6502

I've read this: http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531&p=10

and realised that SSD is going to slow down as it's being used and filled up.

So the article mentions 2 way of slowing down this effect:

1) Creating a smaller partition so that there's more unused space.
    Is that option available when using carbon copy, clone?

2)TRIM
    If we choose "secure empty trash" from Finder, would that be the same as "TRIM"?

2. almostinsane macrumors regular

TRIM is only available on Intel SSD's, one OCZ SSD and you need and Windows 7.

3. philips macrumors regular

philips

eron, read Anand's article again. It is about low level stuff: the way SSD works.

There is little OSs can do about it. It is just like "seek time" of conventional HDDs.

TRIM is going to help fix the slow write performance. But it has to be implemented by both: OS drivers and by SSD's firmware. Yet, speed will not be the same as if you working off a clean SSD. With time, I'm sure file systems would be better tuned for SSD and probably TRIM would be more effective than its current prototypes.

Right now, though Windows 7 claims to support TRIM, it doesn't help much (NTFS is itself fragmenting like hell + TRIM isn't yet fully standardized). Some people tested SSDs with vendor supplied TRIM tool. Results were lower than expected and tool has to be run periodically - but not too often. That's like walking on a limb.

I personally avoid putting too much stress on my SSD (what is good idea for any laptop HDD) and wait for Snow Leopard with TRIM support.

But for the moment I'm quite happy. First, Apple's SSD is faster than HDD. (*) (And it would remain faster even after being fragmented.) Second, laptop runs very quiet and very cool. Only problem I can complain about is SSD's price....

(*) My MBP had downloaded, installed with two restarts 10.5.7 update in under 10 minutes. To put it into prospective, I can still recall the ~1 hour I have spent waiting for WinXP SP3 to finish installing on my Windows PC....

4. OmegaF macrumors newbie

and you don't think this has anything to do with the fact that a service pack is not just a mere update. weekly updates on windows machines take 5 mins or so on any decent machine. perhaps you should compare how long it takes to install snow leopard against the time it takes to install a service pack. that would actually be a fair comparison.