Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Does anyone have any idea what happened to the app? (https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwifgM3BzfvLAhWJcBoKHfz7BUcQFggcMAA&url=https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/degrees-weather/id430173763?mt=12&usg=AFQjCNFcdB-zJJXm88aCj0ufM5vi3etH_w&sig2=b_7JuEJA0XL-dh-2PJa40Q)

The app stopped working a couple of weeks ago. I contacted the developer, but I received no response....

Is there a good alternative for this app? Simple, reliable, accurate, uncluttered, ad-free, lightweight, light on RAM & CPU, no fancy graphics. Just a menubar weather app that lets me know temperature and whether it's raining or sunshine.

Thanks.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
If the app is using yahoo weather internally, then it might be broken because yahoo changed things. On my Pebble anything using yahoo weather had broken weather around that time.

Carrot Weather has a gimmick but I kind of like it.
toronto.png

You can look at Clear Day.
toronto2.png

Both have weather in the menubar. Clear Day can give alerts and the menu icon changes if the temperature crosses a specified minimum and maximum threshold (user selectable). They seem to be fairly light on resources with Carrot using 60 MB of ram and Clear using 100 MB (it also has iOS sync so maybe this is why it takes more).

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
I already use Clear Day Lite. I used it alongside Degrees because free version of Degrees didn't have weekly forecast. My biggest gripe with Clear Day Lite is that it doesn't display temperature or weather condition unless menubar app is clicked.

Will check out Carrot Weather. Thanks for the suggestion.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Degrees would appear to have been abandoned by the developer. I and many others have the same problem, and the developer does not respond to queries.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Carrot Weather, Forecast Bar, full version of Clear Day, etc look like functional apps, but not sure if spending $14-$17 is worth it. I'm currently leaning towards Forecast Bar

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.