Deification - an interesting take

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by robanga, Oct 8, 2011.

1. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Listening to the podcast done by Dan Benjamin and John Siracusa called Hypercritical. I enjoy their discussions. Give it a listen.

in this episode John says the deification of Steve Jobs is getting out of hand. He was a great leader and had amazing accomplishments but at a price. Remember the man for his accomplishments and look forward to the leaders of the future, but be careful on the deity thing.

Having recently read the book " Talent is overrated" it resonated a lot.

People need their gods whether they are great sports heroes, musicians, or celebs in general. We are a tribal and follower lot to be sure. Basically its a way for us to look at ourselves and give ourselves a pass... I couldn't play Golf like that ...he is a natural. No the reality is he sacrificed pretty much everything else to play Golf like that, you can't pull yourself away from the Xbox :)

We need things larger than ourselves. Its the deity hole that is all of us.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I see what you are saying, we all are fairly balanced in life - compared to the greats, who have focused all their energy on one thing.

That doesn't mean that if any of us just focus, we can accomplish what they have in their fields. There is a lot of natural talent and such that we just don't have. Some people have a gift.