Deinterlacing & iDVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Bonesone4, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Bonesone4 macrumors regular

I've exported HDV footage from Final Cut as quicktime files (not self contained), and brought that into iDVD for burning. I noticed while previewing some of the clips from iDVD, that the deinterlacing is really bad with the heavy motion...will burning the DVD fix this or do I need to go back and export my files with deinterlacing check marked?

Bones

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

You don't want to deinterlace at all if your final media sent to iDVD for burning.

Are you saying the *interlacing* looks really noticeable when previewing?
    Yes. It will. Don't check the deinterlace box, and don't use a deinterlace filter on Final Cut.

When you burn it and watch it on a TV it will come out correct.

3. WhiteWood macrumors newbie

I did this. I didn't deinterlace, burned it to DVD via iDVD despite the wavy interlaced lines, put it on TV, it looks exactly the same, if not worse. What now?​

4. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

I am having this same problem/I am a little bit confused. I have a 1080p TV, and a HD camcorder. When I am playing the video in final cut pro on my monitor, it looks fine. When I open it in quicktime after exporting, leaving (make self-contained) unchecked, it looks really bad because of the interlacing. Will iDVD de-interlace this onto the dvd?

5. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

DO deinterlace if your final product is destined to be viewed on an LCD computer monitor, which can't handle interlaced video. DON'T deinterlace if your final product is destined to be viewed on a television set, all of which can handle interlaced video.

Deinterlacing is done during the export stage while editing - i.e., in iMovie or Final Cut or whatever editing suite you used, not in iDVD.