Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bonesone4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Rochester, NY
I've exported HDV footage from Final Cut as quicktime files (not self contained), and brought that into iDVD for burning. I noticed while previewing some of the clips from iDVD, that the deinterlacing is really bad with the heavy motion...will burning the DVD fix this or do I need to go back and export my files with deinterlacing check marked?

Bones

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
I've exported HDV footage from Final Cut as quicktime files (not self contained), and brought that into iDVD for burning. I noticed while previewing some of the clips from iDVD, that the deinterlacing is really bad with the heavy motion...will burning the DVD fix this or do I need to go back and export my files with deinterlacing check marked?

Bones

You don't want to deinterlace at all if your final media sent to iDVD for burning.

Are you saying the *interlacing* looks really noticeable when previewing?
Yes. It will. Don't check the deinterlace box, and don't use a deinterlace filter on Final Cut.

When you burn it and watch it on a TV it will come out correct.

WhiteWood

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
You don't want to deinterlace at all if your final media sent to iDVD for burning.

Are you saying the *interlacing* looks really noticeable when previewing?
Yes. It will. Don't check the deinterlace box, and don't use a deinterlace filter on Final Cut.

When you burn it and watch it on a TV it will come out correct.

I did this. I didn't deinterlace, burned it to DVD via iDVD despite the wavy interlaced lines, put it on TV, it looks exactly the same, if not worse. What now?​

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
I am having this same problem/I am a little bit confused. I have a 1080p TV, and a HD camcorder. When I am playing the video in final cut pro on my monitor, it looks fine. When I open it in quicktime after exporting, leaving (make self-contained) unchecked, it looks really bad because of the interlacing. Will iDVD de-interlace this onto the dvd?

Courtaj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2008
Edinburgh, U.K.
DO deinterlace if your final product is destined to be viewed on an LCD computer monitor, which can't handle interlaced video. DON'T deinterlace if your final product is destined to be viewed on a television set, all of which can handle interlaced video.

Deinterlacing is done during the export stage while editing - i.e., in iMovie or Final Cut or whatever editing suite you used, not in iDVD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.