Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Is anyone else who can type reasonably fast on an iPad also annoyed daily by how there's a 1-2 second delay before you can hit 'send' after typing a message in the messages app? Seriously WHYYYYYYY????????? No issues on iPhone though.

Anyone with iOS 10 on iPad see a difference?

iPad Pro here btw.

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
No delay on my iPad Pro. But I have the delay on my 6s go figure. Maybe a bug in the you know beta.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
No delay on my iPad Pro. But I have the delay on my 6s go figure. Maybe a bug in the you know beta.
It's been like this since iOS 8 for me. I'm on iOS 9
[doublepost=1469584781][/doublepost]
Are you on wifi or LTE when it happens?
I'm on wifi when it happens. It's not a major delay but I can't hit send as fast as I do on the phone. Won't register for a second after the last keystroke.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
It's been like this since iOS 8 for me. I'm on iOS 9
[doublepost=1469584781][/doublepost]
I'm on wifi when it happens. It's not a major delay but I can't hit send as fast as I do on the phone. Won't register for a second after the last keystroke.

You said you have an iPad Pro when did iPad a pro ship with iOS 8. I think the iPad Pro was shipping with iOS 9.x as the default OS are you sure you have an iPad Pro ?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Is anyone else who can type reasonably fast on an iPad also annoyed daily by how there's a 1-2 second delay before you can hit 'send' after typing a message in the messages app? Seriously WHYYYYYYY????????? No issues on iPhone though.

Anyone with iOS 10 on iPad see a difference?

iPad Pro here btw.

No delay here. The letter shows on the screen when I kit the key on the screen. Are you using the external keyboard?

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
You said you have an iPad Pro when did iPad a pro ship with iOS 8. I think the iPad Pro was shipping with iOS 9.x as the default OS are you sure you have an iPad Pro ?
You're misunderstanding...I had the issue on previous ipads running ios 8.
[doublepost=1469719805][/doublepost]
No delay here. The letter shows on the screen when I kit the key on the screen. Are you using the external keyboard?
Once again, misunderstanding...Im talking about a delay BEFORE you hit the send button. The send button is unresponsive for a second. This doesn't happen on iPhone, only on iPad. The issue is I'm a fast typer and want to hit send as soon as im done typing quickly. Not possible on iPad. though on iPhone I can hit send and it registers.

Just try hitting any key on an iPad message and then try to hit "send" IMMEDIATELY, very quickly after hitting a letter on the keyboard. Maybe that will better show you what Im talking about. Yes I type fast so many other may not "see the issue" But as I said its not a problem on iPhone.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
You're misunderstanding...I had the issue on previous ipads running ios 8.
[doublepost=1469719805][/doublepost]
Once again, misunderstanding...Im talking about a delay BEFORE you hit the send button. The send button is unresponsive for a second. This doesn't happen on iPhone, only on iPad. The issue is I'm a fast typer and want to hit send as soon as im done typing quickly. Not possible on iPad. though on iPhone I can hit send and it registers.

Just try hitting any key on an iPad message and then try to hit "send" IMMEDIATELY, very quickly after hitting a letter on the keyboard. Maybe that will better show you what Im talking about. Yes I type fast so many other may not "see the issue" But as I said its not a problem on iPhone.

I suggest you slow down and try to relax. I just tried what you asked and when I hit Send it sent the email. No noticeable delay, it just sent the message.

Sandy Santra

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Brooklyn
I suggest you slow down and try to relax. I just tried what you asked and when I hit Send it sent the email. No noticeable delay, it just sent the message.

I think you're still misunderstanding.

What he means is this:

The exact moment he decides (in his mind) that he is finished with a composing a text message/response, he instantaneously stops typing the message AND SIMULTANEOUSLY hits the SEND button—only to discover that NOTHING (then) HAPPENS (for the next approximately 1.5 seconds), and …. (ONLY) THEN does the device (his iPad) send the message.

Everyone else (and he on his phone, as well) does not have this problem: they hit SEND and the txt message immediately gets sent.

As for your dismissive "I think you need to relax" sentiment, my counter to that is this: we are testers, we are objective, and (unlike you) we do not underestimate the huge negative impact on productivity in both personal and business contexts that latency has.

Latency is a huge issue. You can metric it and discovery that a task that normally takes, say, .01 seconds for the machine to execute, is unfortunately now taking 1 second to execute; and that has a very real impact on worker productivity.

This guy's rant is fully justified. It would be like buying a car with ignition latency so poor that you had to wait 1.5 seconds AFTER you turned the key for the engine to start. Would you accept that? I don't think so. Would you accept waiting 1.5 seconds AFTER you turned the faucet for your bathroom sink fixture to respond? I don't think so. What if I'm making a left turn in front of a semi while at speed of, say, 30 mph? A 1.5 second delay on response from my steering system is now responsible for my death. Get the picture?

The struggle is real. Please don't trivialize the problem.

Reactions: jonnyb098

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I suggest you read the original title of this thread. This is the messages app. Not email pal.
[doublepost=1469726206][/doublepost]
I think you're still misunderstanding.

What he means is this:

The exact moment he decides (in his mind) that he is finished with a composing a text message/response, he instantaneously stops typing the message AND SIMULTANEOUSLY hits the SEND button—only to discover that NOTHING (then) HAPPENS (for the next approximately 1.5 seconds), and …. (ONLY) THEN does the device (his iPad) send the message.

Everyone else (and he on his phone, as well) does not have this problem: they hit SEND and the txt message immediately gets sent.

As for your dismissive "I think you need to relax" sentiment, my counter to that is this: we are testers, we are objective, and (unlike you) we do not underestimate the huge negative impact on productivity in both personal and business contexts that latency has.

Latency is a huge issue. You can metric it and discovery that a task that normally takes, say, .01 seconds for the machine to execute, is unfortunately now taking 1 second to execute; and that has a very real impact on worker productivity.

This guy's rant is fully justified. It would be like buying a car with ignition latency so poor that you had to wait 1.5 seconds AFTER you turned the key for the engine to start. Would you accept that? I don't think so. Would you accept waiting 1.5 seconds AFTER you turned the faucet for your bathroom sink fixture to respond? I don't think so. What if I'm making a left turn in front of a semi while at speed of, say, 30 mph? A 1.5 second delay on response from my steering system is now responsible for my death. Get the picture?

The struggle is real. Please don't trivialize the problem.
THANK YOU!........someone who gets it. Messages is the most used app, Apple has said that over and over. If I'm deep in conversation trying to send messages quickly and can't hit the damn send button for a second, it becomes infuriating. I know it's a rarity and people complain about touch typing but I'm extremely proficient so I'll concede this affects people differently. I just want the damn send button to work the instant I'm done typing like on the phone. It's been like this since iOS 8 on my Air 2 and now on the pro. I think it's just a design flaw of the OS on iPad. Sadly this is becoming the norm. iPad gets neglected. And yes I submitted a bug report a long time ago. Messages was completely re written for iOS 10 so maybe I'll gain some sanity back in a couple months.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.