Delay going from iPhone to cellular?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by fate0311, Oct 22, 2018.

1. fate0311 macrumors 6502a

I have a delay. If I turn off my iPhone there is a delayed period where my AW shows disconnected with a red x prior to switching over to cellular.

This should be seamless.

2. dave006 Contributor

dave006

It is seamless as in you don't have to do anything to have your watch switch.

The delay is by design to help conserve the watch's battery. As you move around your watch can lose Bluetooth or Wi-Fi multiple times in a very short period of time but then come back into a coverage area quite quickly. Apple only wants to power up LTE as a last resort usually 40-60 seconds after you lose Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.

Dave

3. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

That is natural . I had that on my S3 Ceramic and S4 Space Black SS. There is a short delay whilst the watch realises that it can no longer connect to your phone or wifi and seeks a cellular signal. Takes a lot less than a minute to switch over so relax and enjoy. As Dave says, the watch looks for cellular as a last resort as cellular will drain the battery more rapidly.

4. musicpenguy macrumors 65832

I’m finding that the series 4 is instant with this transition - the series 3 in my experience took quite a while to make the switch.