Delay in getting notifications?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by adcx64, Sep 17, 2015.

1. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

is it normal for there to be a 3-5 minute delay from when you get the notification on your phone, to pop up on your watch? Or should it be instant?

Do you guys get all notifications on your watches, including snap chat?

Thanks friends.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Funny you ask as this happened several times yesterday but all is good today!

3. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

So the norm is the watch goes off immediately when you get a notification?

4. Newtons Apple, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015

Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

They should be received by the phone and relayed to the watch almost instantly. The watch should be mirroring the phone in close to real time. Mine does 99% of the time but yesterday it delayed a few emails. This was BEFORE my IOS9 update.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've noticed a delay, and I don't think its an iOS9 issue. I believe this was occurring yesterday prior to my update.

6. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I have a delay with email. I am not sure about other notifications, because I have not tested them.

I have my phone connected to several Exchange accounts, and my phone will alert me of the email arrival nearly simultaneously of when my computer alerts for the same email. However, with the watch connected, I frequently do not get the watch notification for a minute or more after the Exchange email arrives. (In some cases, I have already read and deleted the message from Outlook before the watch pings me.)

I tested a few scenarios... With my phone awake, I sent an Exchange test message. Both Outlook and phone notified immediately. Then, I put the phone in lock and sent another message. The watch notified about 60 seconds late. Last, I put the phone in lock mode, sent a message, and then I unlocked the phone and read the message on the phone. No notification on the watch. To my knowledge, I have not missed any email, message, or other notifications on the watch. They may not have been timely, but they always arrive.

7. CobraPA macrumors 6502

And to add to the difficulty in testing this, remember that notifications on the watch normally get cancelled if you view the associated event on your phone (at least that's how it usually works here.)

I've had some delayed txt msgs on the watch. I can't tell when/why it has happened yet. Usually they show up close to real time.

8. OBirder macrumors member

I typically get it on the watch approx. 5 to 10 seconds after my Macbook / iPad. That was the case on iOS 8.4.1 and as well now on OS 9.0.

9. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Strangely, I also started getting delays to SMS messages yesterday (before I updated my phone to iOS 9).

Ever since I've had the Watch, it would ping immediately I get an SMS, and the message would not be shown on my phone lock screen unless I opened it. But yesterday, SMS messages would come through on my phone, and about 3 or 4 mins later, they would ping on my Watch. I reset the Watch but the same thing continued to happen. Very strange.

Anyhow I've just finished installing iOS 9 so I'm waiting for an SMS to see if the issue is resolved...

10. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

Correct me if I'm wrong but while the watch is connected, when my phone gets a text my watch should vibrate and my phone screen will NOT light up. Almost like the phone is on DnD.

11. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

That's correct. That's how it's always worked for me, however yesterday things started going a bit funky...

12. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

Yeah as of now I get messages on my phone not the watch.

13. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

This is really bizarre. This morning, I got an iMessage that notified and only appeared on my watch; nothing on the phone. Since then, however, all messages have appeared on both devices.

14. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Well - I've had two text messages in the last 30 mins and they've both pinged on my Watch first, in the same way that things were working before. So things appear to have returned to normal (for me, anyway!).

Not sure why everything started going funky yesterday!

Right... watchOS2.... where are ya!?....

15. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Well the delay is continuing today, now about 4-5 times. The phone gets the message perfectly but my watch is not letting me know for 5-10 minutes later, sometimes.

17. !!! macrumors 6502

!!!

This happened to me starting today, and I upgraded to iOS 9 on Wednesday, so I don't think it's due to iOS 9 and watchOS 1 being incompatible.