Delay in the MacBook Pro "CAPS LOCK"? Anyone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chiuy, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Chiuy macrumors 6502

I'm a very fast type writer and i NOTICE SOME DELAYS, <--- just like that, in the caps lock key of the mACbook Pro. I type about a good 80-120 wPM.
    Does anyone else notice a delay in their MBP Caps lock key? iT'S actually quite annoying. Which i'm doing right now.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's an intentional feature Apple added a few years back. You've got to hold the key press for very slightly longer to activate caps lock to prevent accidental locking.

3. simsaladimbamba

Why don't you use the SHIFT key?

I have not acquired any professional typing skills, thus I don't know if the CAPS LOCK key is faster than using the SHIFT key, which I use fore my capitalisation.

4. Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, it's a bit of a bad habit now to change. i'M too used to the caps

5. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

It was done on purpose, and its annoying as $^@#! I don't know why they don't at least provide an unofficial setting for it so that advanced users can turn off this "feature" if they want to.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Check that your system is up to date. That issue occurred on my 2011 MBP as supplied from Apple, but no longer occurs under 10.6.7 with the firmware update.

7. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

If that's your proposal, then why even have the key there on the keyboard at all? I would PREFER it if apple either removed the physical key, or make it respond like every other fricken key on the keyboard. To make this one key respond differently is extremely annoying. It's physically there, so my hand will naturally press it when I want to use that function - but then it doesn't actually do that function!!! It's SO annoying.

8. lesyork macrumors member

This sounds a lot like the problem I face when I use Linux. I can't stand it.

And I don't even have a Mac yet - hopefully you'll find a fix :D

9. Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

There no fix...
    Apple sometimes needs to stop doing some stuff differently.
    As a fast typer, this caps lock is extremely annoying.
    I spend more time fixing my caps instead of actually typing. (Well, not literally though)

I just notice if you repeatedly press the caps lock over and over super fast, it doesn't even work at all. haha... this sucks. Oh well