Delay/Lag when recording guitar

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bob fluffer, Oct 24, 2007.

1. bob fluffer macrumors newbie

hi

i'm recording my guitar by using a 3/4 jack straight into my macbook. when i play through logic, i hear it all okay but there is like a 10 second delay, and it gets shorter. after a few minutes when it all seems in sync, it all fuzzes up and the long delay comes back, and this process pretty much keeps repeating.

any idea what it could be? could my 3/4 jack be broken, or would it be best to just get a D/I box or something?

thanks

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Have you tried it using GarageBand? This should show whether it's a Logic issue or something more basic

3. bob fluffer thread starter macrumors newbie

it seems to come out on time when in garageband, but only out of one side (left).

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Presumably only one side because the guitar jack is Mono. So it looks like there may be a problem with the audio input settings in Logic. Sorry, I've never used it, so I can't help you there. Maybe you could try in the Digital Audio forum to see if anyone can help.

5. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

In Logic, you can try reducing the buffer size. I think there's a section in the manual about reducing latency.

But you're always gonna get some latency, because the signal you're hearing is making the round-trip to the computer and back out again. Best to get a firewire audio interface with a monitor output so you can hear your guitar real-time. This will give you better recording quality too.

As for the signal only coming out of one ear in GarageBand, check the input settings on the track you're recording to. Select a mono channel instead of "Channel 1&2 (Stereo)".

HTH - GL
    SL

6. bob fluffer thread starter macrumors newbie