Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bob fluffer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
hi

i'm recording my guitar by using a 3/4 jack straight into my macbook. when i play through logic, i hear it all okay but there is like a 10 second delay, and it gets shorter. after a few minutes when it all seems in sync, it all fuzzes up and the long delay comes back, and this process pretty much keeps repeating.

any idea what it could be? could my 3/4 jack be broken, or would it be best to just get a D/I box or something?

thanks

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
hi

i'm recording my guitar by using a 3/4 jack straight into my macbook. when i play through logic, i hear it all okay but there is like a 10 second delay, and it gets shorter. after a few minutes when it all seems in sync, it all fuzzes up and the long delay comes back, and this process pretty much keeps repeating.

any idea what it could be? could my 3/4 jack be broken, or would it be best to just get a D/I box or something?

thanks

Have you tried it using GarageBand? This should show whether it's a Logic issue or something more basic

bob fluffer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
it seems to come out on time when in garageband, but only out of one side (left).

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
it seems to come out on time when in garageband, but only out of one side (left).

Presumably only one side because the guitar jack is Mono. So it looks like there may be a problem with the audio input settings in Logic. Sorry, I've never used it, so I can't help you there. Maybe you could try in the Digital Audio forum to see if anyone can help.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
In Logic, you can try reducing the buffer size. I think there's a section in the manual about reducing latency.

But you're always gonna get some latency, because the signal you're hearing is making the round-trip to the computer and back out again. Best to get a firewire audio interface with a monitor output so you can hear your guitar real-time. This will give you better recording quality too.

As for the signal only coming out of one ear in GarageBand, check the input settings on the track you're recording to. Select a mono channel instead of "Channel 1&2 (Stereo)".

HTH - GL
SL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.