Delay shipping to get pre-installed Snow Leopard? Advice needed :)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Shad0wDK, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Shad0wDK macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I ordered a Macbook Pro 2.8 ghz this Sunday. It hasn't been shipped yet so I am wondering if it would make sense to call Apple and try to delay the shipping or even cancel to get Snow Leopard pre-installed? Or should I just go with an upgrade?

I have been researching a bit about upgrading Leopard to Snow Leopard versus a "clean" install.. but it is confusing me a bit what is best to do :) It should be mentioned that this is my first Mac ever - so I'm not so much into how format/reinstall osx and stuff works out on macs.

What would you advice me to do considering I just ordered the Mac?

2. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

I'd just go with the upgrade, myself. It's only $10, and in the three-four days it takes for the MacBook and disc to arrive, doing a clean install won't make much difference. It'd be hard to make enough of a mess to need a clean install in just a few days.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The question is, how long will you need to wait until apple clears out the inventory of Leopard equipped Macs? A week, a month, 2 months? Are you willing to wait that long?

Personally, I'd just order the machine and get the upgrade disk. Why hold off getting an awesome computer just to get SL preinstalled when you can "Preinstall" it yourself.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

they will ship with snow leopard drop in disk, you will not need to pay extra.

5. Shad0wDK thread starter macrumors newbie

Just called them and it seems like the package just shipped out, and they said there wasn't any upgrade disc inside.. so I just purchased the upgrade :)

I hope the upgrading is a good way to do it, though I am a bit worried about upgrading the OS like that instead of a clean install, but I don't really know why :p

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You can do a clean install off the upgrade disk. :)

7. dubels macrumors 6502

That kind of sucks that your MBP did not come with a upgrade disk since the release of Snow Leopard is so close. O well at least you will get to enjoy your purchase a few days earlier. Have fun.

8. Shad0wDK thread starter macrumors newbie

Why is it that some people prefer to do a fresh install? Is it just in order to do a "spring clean up" at the same time? I do that from time to time on my PC as Windows often gets sloppy as time goes.

Should I even consider doing a fresh install as I would upgrade on a completely new mac with minimal stuff installed (might be a game and office)?