Delayed Cloud Syncing for Cultured Code's Things

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jeremyisweary, May 17, 2010.

1. jeremyisweary macrumors member

jeremyisweary

Just seeing how many other users of Cultured Code's Things are out there, and if they're also getting frustrated with the lack of cloud syncing that was promised last year.

Last August, they announced they'd been working on it since the beginning of the year (2009). Well, it's now May 2010, and the app from August is the same app users have today.

2. nastebu macrumors 6502

In fairness, they never promised a specific date, so you can't really call it "delayed."

Am I looking forward to it, absolutely. Do I hope it comes soon, yes. But Things is an excellent application which has helped me enormously, so the developer gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

3. jeremyisweary thread starter macrumors member

jeremyisweary

A year and a half working on cloud syncing is delayed in my opinion. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt earlier this year, but now it's just getting ridiculous. Things has helped me enormously also, but the more devices I get the more I need this feature. Things is the most expensive app on my dock, yet it gets updated the least. It's time for CC to actually get some "things" done besides bug fixes.

4. Bwa macrumors 6502

Here we are in December with no news. Sadly, I haven't found an alternative that gets so much right as Things does. But getting cloud wrong really sucks.

5. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

I don't use currently use Things, but I demoed it earlier this year. Using Dropbox, I was easily able to sync it across my three macs and it only took minutes to set up. Here's what I did to sync it across my Mac Pro, macbook pro, and iMac:

Step 1: Quit Dropbox on each computer.
    Step 2. Intstall on the Mac Pro. This puts a file in the Applications Support folder called "Cultured Code". Library-->Application Support-->Cultured Code-->Things-->Database.xml
    STep 3. Make a symlink to the Cultured Code folder, then move the symlink to the local Dropbox folder on the Mac Pro. Dropbox-->Cultured Code symlink
    Step 4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the macbook pro.
    Step 5. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the iMac.
    Step 6. Restart Dropbox on the Mac Pro. Let it sync.
    Step 7. Restart Dropbox on the Macbook Pro. Let it sync.
    Step 8. Restart Dropbox on the iMac. Let it sync.

At this point, any changes you make on one computer will appear on the others **as long as you don't have Things open on more than one machine at a time**.

I currently do this for several applications that don't have cloud syncing (or didn't have it when I purchased them) including The Hit List, LittleSnapper, DVDPedia, & LicenseKeeper. Works without a problem for all of them. It should work for almost any database-type application.

Also, I don't have an iPhone, so I'm not sure how that changes the situation, but given that Dropbox has an iPhone app, I imagine it should work.

Hope this helps.

James

6. Bwa macrumors 6502

Good write-up but I am mostly interested in iPad / iPhone / Mac syncing. :) If my laptop is closed when I open up Things on the iPad or iPhone, I don't get the latest. If I leave the office without syncing, I don't have the latest. And so on.

7. gks macrumors 6502

Just buy OmniFocus. It's a very well done application. Has been syncing over the air since 2008 and just plain works. I broke down and bought all 3 applications even after buying Things for all 3 devices. Wish I would've just bought OmniFocus first and been done with it.

8. pattam macrumors newbie