Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve-Jobs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
I've just realised when I reboot my iPad it takes the keyboard to work at least a minute to let me start typing my passcode. It just happens after reboot nothing wrong in normal use of the keyboard.
It is a 4 month old iPad and am running 6.1.3 shall I return it and pay the difference for an ipad air :D

Anyone can help? Cheers

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
WAAAAAAYYYYY not worth getting an iPad air for, you will see no improvement probably. Go to settings->general->reset->reset all settings. You won't lose any data, just things like wallpaper and wifi passwords.

Steve-Jobs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
WAAAAAAYYYYY not worth getting an iPad air for, you will see no improvement probably. Go to settings->general->reset->reset all settings. You won't lose any data, just things like wallpaper and wifi passwords.

Thanks for the advice. I've been reading lots of negative feedback lately about the new Air. I think I'll stick with iPad4 and probably get the "Pro" next year ;)

Unfortunately the reset settings didn't work. I rebooted and it took a minute to be able to slide to open work.

Anyother suggestions?

Cheers.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Thanks for the advice. I've been reading lots of negative feedback lately about the new Air. I think I'll stick with iPad4 and probably get the "Pro" next year ;)

Unfortunately the reset settings didn't work. I rebooted and it took a minute to be able to slide to open work.

Anyother suggestions?

Cheers.

I would suggest you make an appointment with the Geeks and have them replace it. It is not normal. If you rebooted and do not have some really big things going on in the background, there should be no delay.

Steve-Jobs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
I would suggest you make an appointment with the Geeks and have them replace it. It is not normal. If you rebooted and do not have some really big things going on in the background, there should be no delay.

That's what I thought. There shouldn't be a delay at all. It has recently started to do that.
I bought it from an electronics shop 4 months ago so I'm assuming it's still under warranty with Apple? Maybe I should get applecare after

cheers

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
That's what I thought. There shouldn't be a delay at all. It has recently started to do that.
I bought it from an electronics shop 4 months ago so I'm assuming it's still under warranty with Apple? Maybe I should get applecare after

cheers

Yes, you should have the original 1 year applecare warranty that came with is. I suggest backing it up and restoring with iTunes. After that, restore from your backup and see if the problem is still there. If it is still there restore your device again but this time don't restore from backups and set up as a new device. If that doesn't fix anything, make a genius appointment at the apple store and have them check it out and possibly replace it, but first go to the link at the bottom of this post and enter your iPad's serial number to make sure you do have warranty.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Thanks for the advice. I've been reading lots of negative feedback lately about the new Air.

Really? You skipped all the glowing reviews from tech sites and happy users on here? I'd say there are considerably more people happy with their iPad Airs than unhappy with their iPad Airs.

They're called Geniuses, not geeks.

Steve-Jobs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Yes, you should have the original 1 year applecare warranty that came with is. I suggest backing it up and restoring with iTunes. After that, restore from your backup and see if the problem is still there. If it is still there restore your device again but this time don't restore from backups and set up as a new device. If that doesn't fix anything, make a genius appointment at the apple store and have them check it out and possibly replace it, but first go to the link at the bottom of this post and enter your iPad's serial number to make sure you do have warranty.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/

Thanks for that. I've just checked. I have a complimentary 90 day phone support :)
The only issue is I'm still running 6.1.3 (waiting for the JB) and if I restore it'll get me the iOS7 which I'm not really fond of!
Do you think the 6.1.3 causing this problem?

Cheers

Really? You skipped all the glowing reviews from tech sites and happy users on here? I'd say there are considerably more people happy with their iPad Airs than unhappy with their iPad Airs.

I know it's an amazing device but so as the iPad 4. I must say the main reason stopped me buying the Air was the 5mp camera and no touch ID and I thought if there's "Air" there's will be "Pro" I'd rather to wait, but thanks anyway.

Steve-Jobs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
I just tried again after reboot, screen is completely frozen and takes 30 seconds to let me swipe open the lock.

I'm so taking it tomorrow but as it's not from Apple store will they still replace it or send to Apple to get it fixed?

I'm still concerned it could be the iOS7 update?

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
The only issue is I'm still running 6.1.3 (waiting for the JB) and if I restore it'll get me the iOS7 which I'm not really fond of!

Try rebooting in safe mode (jailbroken devices have this) by powering off the device and powering on the device while holding the volume up button. When it boots, all jailbreak tweaks and apps will be disabled until you reboot. You will see in the status bar "exit safe mode" if you got into safe mode successfully. See if the problem is still there when you are in safe mode and troubleshoot from there.

Steve-Jobs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Try rebooting in safe mode (jailbroken devices have this) by powering off the device and powering on the device while holding the volume up button. When it boots, all jailbreak tweaks and apps will be disabled until you reboot. You will see in the status bar "exit safe mode" if you got into safe mode successfully. See if the problem is still there when you are in safe mode and troubleshoot from there.

I'm not Jailbroken unfortunately... Trying to find if anyone had a similar problem after updating to iOS7? When I take it tomorrow the first thing they're going to say is I have to update to 7 and it's not going to help and I'll be pissed off! But having said that if they replace it I'm likely to get ios7 anyway...

cheers

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
I'm not Jailbroken unfortunately... Trying to find if anyone had a similar problem after updating to iOS7? When I take it tomorrow the first thing they're going to say is I have to update to 7 and it's not going to help and I'll be pissed off! But having said that if they replace it I'm likely to get ios7 anyway...

cheers

Oooops, I misread that, I thought you said you WERE jailbroken, but you were saying you were WAITING FOR one.

Steve-Jobs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Oooops, I misread that, I thought you said you WERE jailbroken, but you were saying you were WAITING FOR one.

Yep I'm waiting for the 6.1.3 JB so that's why I didn't upgrade to 7.
I've already put it into factory settings. Taking it tomorrow morning. Is it more likely they repair it or get me a replacement? Hopefully I won't get ios7
Cheers

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Yep I'm waiting for the 6.1.3 JB so that's why I didn't upgrade to 7.
I've already put it into factory settings. Taking it tomorrow morning. Is it more likely they repair it or get me a replacement? Hopefully I won't get ios7
Cheers

They do not do a lot of repairing at the stores. You will be given another unit.

Steve-Jobs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
They do not do a lot of repairing at the stores. You will be given another unit.

I've just returned the iPad to the store the lady said they'll send it to Apple. If they can fix it they'll, otherwise I'll be getting a refurbished replacement.
Is that correct that you get a refurbished iPad when it's replaced?
I bought it from the store as brand new and sealed, why would I get a refurbished one instead, doesn't make sense.

Any suggestions? Cheers

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
I've just returned the iPad to the store the lady said they'll send it to Apple. If they can fix it they'll, otherwise I'll be getting a refurbished replacement.
Is that correct that you get a refurbished iPad when it's replaced?
I bought it from the store as brand new and sealed, why would I get a refurbished one instead, doesn't make sense.

Any suggestions? Cheers

I am afraid that Apple considers your 4 month old iPad to be used. Do not worry about a refurbished iPad as the entire exterior will be new as they only use the "guts" from the othe riPad. You should not be able to tell the difference and will have the original warranty from your original unit.

They should have presented you with this refurbished unit on the spot and not asked you to wait while Apple looks at your device.

Steve-Jobs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
I am afraid that Apple considers your 4 month old iPad to be used. Do not worry about a refurbished iPad as the entire exterior will be new as they only use the "guts" from the othe riPad. You should not be able to tell the difference and will have the original warranty from your original unit.

They should have presented you with this refurbished unit on the spot and not asked you to wait while Apple looks at your device.

Thanks for that mate. I was worried yesterday but after reading a thread here I'm now convinced. I'm sure the refurbished iPad will be as good as an original one.
The store wasn't an Apple store so I assume they had to send it to Apple.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.