Delayed keyboard repeat and typing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wetrix, Mar 3, 2008.

1. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

I'm having trouble with a delay when typing on my C2D late 2006 MacBook. When I type the letters begin to lag behind and when I press and hold delete, it is very slow (delete's about two characters per second). I've set the repeat rate to high and the delay to short in the keyboard preferences but this hasn't helped.

This problem occurs using both the built in keyboard and my Bluetooth keyboard so I think it's a software problem. I'm running 10.5.2 and installed the recent keyboard firmware update, which I think caused the problem in the first place.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

I guess you could open up activity monitor and make sure that some rogue process isn't sucking up all your CPU power or RAM, but that's probably not the issue.

You could try uninstalling the update if you can find out how : \

3. gtimark macrumors member

I recently purchase the 2.4 GHz MacBook (13.3") and I, too, find the key response time annoying -- especially the delete key. Any luck on finding a remedy??? Thanks.

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Does the delete thing happen in every program, or just one?

5. gtimark macrumors member

It's most obvious when typing a document on MS Word, but it happens as I type this response, too :(

Do the full keyboards experience this same key lag??? If it weren't for the other features and aspects of the MacBook I would be very dissatisfied with the machine.

6. Atroz macrumors member

I'm having the same problem with my Macbook Pro. New Penryn system. I can strike the key repeatedly much faster than the keyboard repeats.

After much hunting on the Internet and through Plists, etc. I found the solution. And it's simple. Within the Preferences, Universal Access on the keyboard tab, there's a "Slow keys" option. Turn it off.

7. plumpan macrumors regular

I had this issue as well, but it seems as though 10.5.3 has fixed it! *crosses fingers*

8. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

Long time no updates...

Here I am digging out a full-size Apple white Bluetooth keyboard, and the keyboard is literally 2-3 feet from my Mac Pro. I'm getting the same character lag and repeat character behavior - is this a Bluetooth issue or an Apple white keyboard issue? It's also intermittent, which is maddening. Power cycling the keyboard does help.

I have an Airport Express in g-only mode sitting on top of it. Think I should relocate it? Is there some kind of firmware update for these keyboards?

Thanks,

JP