Delayed Keyboard Response

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jetmaster114, Feb 27, 2014.

1. jetmaster114 macrumors member

I am using a Logitech K750 Solar Powered Wireless Keyboard which uses a USB transmitter not Bluetooth. I am using it with a late 2009 iMac with 8GB of Ram and OSX Mavericks.

It wasn't always this way but for some time now, when I type I occasionaly get a delayed response to my keystrokes, including the dreaded "spinning beachball." It takes a second or two for the display to catch up to my input (I don't type THAT fast!) and this is quite annoying and disturbs my workflow.

Originally I thought it was the Logitech keyboard that was the problem, but eventually they told me to try the original bluetooth wireless keyboard that came with the iMac to see if it happened with that too. IT DID!

So Logitech is off the hook.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this problem? I have 8GB of memory and tons of hard drive space, so I doubt either of those are an issue.

Does anyone think it could be a wireless issue and if I got a USB chorded keyboard the problem would disappear? I guess I will have to try that but since the bluetooth keyboard came with the iMac, it should work even though its wireless.

If anyone has an idea here, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

3. jetmaster114 thread starter macrumors member

I will, but even if that works, won't something still be amiss somewhere on my computer? There are not supposed to be delayed responses even with wireless keyboards.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Does it seem like the computer itself is lagging and the slow KB input is just a symptom of that? It sounds like maybe nothing is wrong with your KB, and the machine is just lagging in general at times and that manifests as the slow LB input.

Open Activity Monitor and go to the CPU tab and sort by CPU% and leave that open to the side and use you machine for a bit. When you see the KB lag, do you see any app or process spiking in CPU usage at the same time?

5. jetmaster114 thread starter macrumors member

Its hard to tell because its so dynamic...but WINDOWS SERVER (what's that) came up during a lull but it does at other times too?

----------

WINDOWSERVER not Windows Server

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Windowserver is the process that actually redraws the screen and it is normal for it to be used a bit when Activity Monitor is running as the screen does redraw a lot.

7. jetmaster114 thread starter macrumors member

Then I have no idea? Even if it ends up working with a chorded keyboard, isn't there still an issue with my system? Its supposed to work with wireless keyboards especially the one that came with it....I need to get this fixed...ugh :)

8. jetmaster114 thread starter macrumors member

Now that I'm paying more attention, it happens with some mouse clicks too...Apple wireless mouse.

Now I'm running Disk Utiilities to see if maybe that will help???

9. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

And you're certain that Activity Monitor isn't reporting 100+% processor use by some app/thread?

10. jetmaster114 thread starter macrumors member

Nothing even remotely close...

And it happens with mouse clicks now too sometimes. UGH!

11. trubane macrumors newbie

I was having the exact same problem, and it was driving me batty. Finally I took a look at Logitech's support page and found the answer to the problem. Turns out this is a USB 2.0 device, and USB 3.0 devices will interfere with reception if used to close to the keyboard. I had a USB 3.0 hub right next to my keyboard, and after unplugging it the keyboard now works fine. I don't like the either/or choice of using the keyboard or the USB hub, but at least I can work around it now that I know what the problem is. Take a look at Logitech's support article on the topic: http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com...04/lt_product_id/7454/tabs/1,3,2,4,5/cl/us,en

Regards,

Tom

12. jetmaster114 thread starter macrumors member

This may be but in my case I am getting the spinning beach ball even with a chorded Apple keyboard. So I don't thick that in my case its an interference issue.

13. lupine5800 macrumors newbie

lupine5800

Bingo! Thanks.