delayed mirror video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by fthl, Apr 6, 2010.

1. fthl macrumors newbie

Apologies for the title. I'm struggling to even give a name to what I want to do, let alone figure out how to do it.

I teach an exercise class and I want to set up a mac and camera so that the camera records about 15 seconds of footage and then plays it back, and then records another 15 seconds and plays back again. The idea is that the students can perform some techniques and then see what they have done immediately afterwards.

Hence the description - delayed mirror. It should be like looking into a mirror that is 15 seconds behind you...

I could sit someone next to the kit with imovie but I'd rather not. I want something automatic.

I don't really want the footage to be stored, it could be and I'd delete later, but ideally I'd like the second 15 secs to overwrite the first, the third 15 sec to overwrite the second etc.

Any ideas? I'm stumped. I'm not even sure what to google for. And I have tried...

Hardware

Mini DV camcorder (firewire)
    g4 ibook
    late 2008 alu mac book

Thanks for the use of your brains. :)

2. fthl thread starter macrumors newbie

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

You might be able to use OSX's "Automator" to set up quicktime to record the 15 second segments and then let them be played back ( and then deleted like you want ) but you might end up having to look at something written in Applescript to get what you want.

I would consider asking the apple script forum to see how easy this would be

4. fthl thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. looks like I'm going to have to learn some stuff. Sigh. And there was me hoping that someone else had already done this.