Delayed reaction when headphones are inserted on Macbook alum

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tarheel23, Nov 11, 2008.

1. tarheel23 macrumors member

Whenever I stick the headphone input into the input slot on my macbook, it takes about 5-10 seconds for my macbook aluminum to respond to it.

It's not that big of a deal, but when I'm trying to turn the volume down while sticking the headphone in, it makes noise still through my macbook speakers. Does anyone else have this problem.

2. urmom macrumors newbie

3. Your5335 macrumors member

Yea I have the same problem, but it takes about 2-3 seconds. Leopard is properly switching the output sources.

4. Mercellus macrumors regular

I see a similar delay on my MacBook Pro, although it is only about 1 second. It is because it is switching output sources from the internal speakers to the audio out jack, and it probably checks to see what kind of connection you have plugged in (as the iPhone headphones with the microphone can be fully utilized on these models as it allows both audio out and microphone, along with the iTunes playback controls).

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

and also, something to add to that...the two outputs (speakers and headphone jack) have different settings...by that i mean, if you have your headphones in at say 3/4 volume, and unplug them, it goes back to whatever your previous volume setting was for the actual speakers(for me, mute) and when you plug in the headphones again, the volume automatically changes back to 3/4

just something to think about if youre trying to change volumes while youre plugging or unplugging headphones

6. Jpoon macrumors 6502

My Santa Rosa does this as well. No biggie there.

7. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Same slight delay...I thought it was a feature :)

8. jsonli macrumors member

9. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

It makes me feel better to know it happens to others. I never experienced a delay in my previous MacBook Pro (rev a), so it worried me at first. I'm fine with it as long as I know it's normal. :)