Delayed right-click (contextual menu)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yhelothar, Aug 4, 2007.

1. yhelothar macrumors newbie

I'm having problems with right-clicking on my Macbook Pro. It takes about 3 seconds after I right-click until the menu shows up. This is extremely annoying when I'm using Safari, as it also moves the cursor back to where I originally right-clicked when the menu finally shows up. This also happens in Finder and, well, every application. Needless to say, this also ruins games such as Warcraft III, where the right-click is constantly used (I was, however, able to remedy this by remapping the right click to cmd-click).

I am using a wireless Logitech v200 with Steermouse, but I doubt that the mouse is the problem because this also happens with the trackpad. I also tried uninstalling Steermouse and I would have the same problem in Warcraft III. I've used the mouse on my PC and it works fine. For some reason, mouse gestures using the right-click work perfectly fine, so I am utterly confused.

Can someone help me solve this problem or is it inherent in the Mac OS?

Thanks in advance.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

3. yhelothar thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. This has been happening for a while now, but has become increasingly annoying as I try to play games.

EDIT: Actually, I suppose this temporarily fixes this. The menu began to show up instantly in Finder and Safari. However, I tried running Jedi Outcast and the same thing happened: the right click would be delayed. After quitting the program, everything is back to how it was before, delays and all. And please don't assume that it's Jedi Outcast; I only installed it today and the problem was happening before this when I hadn't been playing any games.

4. masterfu macrumors member

masterfu

What are your specs? If you haven't ran a game on it before and it starts to do that the first time you run a game, it could be that you don't have much memory or something.

5. yhelothar thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the new 2.2Ghz Macbook Pro (which has 2GB RAM).

Sorry if I'm not being very clear. I meant that in that particular instance it started after I ran the game. But it doesn't have to happen due to a game; usually I don't play games. Well, right after I restart my computer, it works fine. But gradually as I simply use the internet and such, the delay starts to appear, even without running a game.

6. yhelothar thread starter macrumors newbie

Aha, I think I figured it out! After disabling/quitting xGestures, right-clicking works fine again. Figures, I guess.

On that note, does anyone know any alternatives for using mouse gestures in Safari?

Thanks for the help.

7. masterfu macrumors member

masterfu

I don't know all the specifics of this app, but it was a highly recommended gesturing app that I heard on a podcast of TWiT.tv a couple weeks back. Hope this works for you:

http://flyingmeat.com/flygesture/

8. Blubbert macrumors 6502

I use xgestures too, and i might have a solution for your lagging right click in games. You have to add the game under the application section of the xgestures and check the retain normal mouse functionality box. I used to have right click unresponsiveness in games till i did that.

BTW, another alternative for mouse gesturing for OSX is the Abracadabra plugin for Quicksilver.

9. yhelothar thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thanks. But the unresponsiveness was annoying in Safari, too, and I don't know how I would get rid of it. Now I'm trying out CocoaSuite, which works perfectly.

As for Abracadabra, is there a way to create a mouse gesture for going Back and Forward in Safari? I can't really figure it out and that's the main thing I use gestures for.

Thanks again.

10. Blubbert macrumors 6502

To get back and forward commands in Abracadabra you have to install another plugin, the user interface acess plugin. When you install that plugin, it will index all the menu items for your apps, and youll be able to create a gesture that points to the menu item for back and forward in safari.

EDIT: Setting up the back setting for safari would look like this.
    EDIT2: You have to have Safari running before you can acess its menu bar trough Quicksilver.