Delayed SMS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by clumsythief83, Jan 31, 2012.

1. clumsythief83 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I work in the 3rd basement in a hospital and cannot get a signal for my phone. I often get SMS texts during work and I sometime 1 hour after I actually get the signal. Is this an issue with the iPhone or with my network (I'm with Fido). Any way to fix that?

Thanks

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah it'd be your carrier, especially if the texts are being sent from a different network. Contact your carrier about it if it doesn't resolve itself in a few days.

3. shadrap macrumors 6502

Every carrier, I have had them all has this issue every now and then.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

AT&T used to deliver VM/Texts up to 3 hours later without me losing a connection, which was annoying to say the least. It hasn't happened to me recently, but wouldn't surprise me if the issue still occurs.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Your answer lies within the first sentence quoted above. SMS is transmitted via your carrier's network. The messages don't just magically transfer themselves. If you have no coverage then, yes, SMS delivery will be affected and you won't get your messages until you have coverage. The solution is to improve coverage one way or another (new carrier, repeater, new job, etc).

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

No, read the quoted portion of the OP above. Basement floor aside... not receiving texts for ONE HOUR AFTER getting a signal is not right. Yes, if you have no signal, you don't get calls txts but AS SOON as you pick up signal (i.e. come up to ground level) you can expect to get your texts/missed calls.

OP, I'm in the same boat as you. Just recently, maybe 3 times -- the last of them being last night, I have had this issue as well. My wife will txt me (or friends willl txt) and I will receive the text an hour or so later. I can't duplicate the issue which is frustrating cause I know there's not a lot Verizon (my carrier) can do for me. I've already talked to tier 2 tech support and all they can tell me to do is to call back in when it happens and let them know so they can run some diagnostics. I work in tech support (not for cell phones) so I know that there is limited avenues to take to troubleshoot an issue that is sporadic and not able to be duplicated easily.

BUT with that said, I believe it IS your carrier NOT your phone. Search android forums and you'll see the same thing. Search different carriers and you'll find the same thing. It's not specific to one carrier or type of phone and it's super annoying.

Fortunately, nobody really txts me except my wife and I hope to have her on an iPhone soon which will use iMessage and NOT rely on the crappy carrier SMS service.

Good luck to you! You're not alone!

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That's still a network issue. SMS is a limited store-and-forward service and it's up to the carrier's network to deliver the texts. The phone still can't just magically know that there's SMS messages waiting and demand that the network deliver them.

8. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Sure, in the basement scenario.

In my case, I'll be sitting at home (where I have a solid 3G signal) and text myself from my wifes phone then I won't get it for 30 minutes or so.

Funny thing is -- If I text my wife's phone during this time, it goes right through... I just dont RECEIVE the text from her.