Delayed Wake from Sleep with Boot SSD in Optical Bay, Solutions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fouramphonecall, Mar 25, 2011.

1. fouramphonecall macrumors member

Hey MacRumors, long time lurker. I have a 2011 Macbook Pro 13in i5.

I’ve had an OWC Mercury Extreme 60 GB SSD in it for a few weeks, and it has been great. Best upgrade I’ve ever done. However, I recently switched things around by replacing the optical drive with an OWC Data Doubler with the OWC SSD in it, and I put the stock 320 GB HDD that came with the MBP back in the HD bay. I put the stock HD back in the HD bay because I have often heard posters on here warn that an HD in the optical bay has the potential to be damaged by sudden movements while running since the stock HDs from Apple don’t have built-in drop protection, but rather the protection is inherit in the HD bay itself.

The issue I am having with this setup now is that waking from sleep is very slow. If I put the machine to sleep and the screen goes black, it will take around 30 seconds after I try to wake it for the screen to actually come on and go from black to blue. Previously, with the SSD in the HD bay wake from sleep was basically instant. I assume that the delay now in waking from sleep has something to do with the MBP taking longer to recognize the boot drive in the optical bay as this is a rather non-standard configuration.

Is there any way around this? Is this simply a sacrifice that must be made to have the boot drive in the optical bay? And for that matter, how dangerous is it really to have a stock Apple HD in the optical bay?

And I am aware of the wake from hibernation issue with the OWC SSDs. It happened to me once with the OWC in the HD bay after I ran out of battery. When it came back on it was frozen, and I had to reboot. However, this is NOT the issue I am referring to. I am well aware of the hibernation issue, but this is a different issue involving a delayed waking from sleep that is exclusive to the boot SSD being in the optical bay.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I had a similar problem on my last machine, except my delay was with slow boot times (fully off). However, the problem resolved itself after a week and a half of regular usage (a couple reboots). Try repairing permissions on both drives. If that doesn't speed things up, my guess is that the computer needs to do some "housekeeping" before it "gets used" to the setup you have.

3. fouramphonecall thread starter macrumors member

My boot times from completely off to on seem unaffected though. The only thing that has slowed is waking from sleep. Even after sleeping and waking more than ten times the speed has not improved. I don't think this is something that is going to go away on its own.

Edit: And I also tried repairing permissions on the OWC SSD, but it hasn't had any effect that I can discern.

4. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what's going on then. I'd try disabling noatime, as well as hibernate (since doing those tweaks should be beneficial to your SSD anyway). Also delete your sleep image. After that, I'd restart the computer and do an SMC & PRAM reset. Hopefully that helps.

5. avexdesigns macrumors newbie

hey man, there are known problems when installing the SSD into the optical bay. what you need to do is put the original HD into the optical bay and put the SSD where the original drive was. i dont know if you have one, but you will also need the MCE Optibay http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

Check out life hacker: http://lifehacker.com/#!5541774/how-to-install-a-solid+state-drive-in-your-macbook

"It seems that connecting the SSD to the optical drive slot will give you problems waking from sleep, since the MacBook doesn't look to that SATA port for your main drive. I did not notice this before, as I don't sleep my computer. So, instead of installing your SSD in the Optibay, you'll want to disconnect your regular hard drive, install the SSD in that slot, and then install your old drive in the Optibay and continue as written."