Delete a file with the keyboard in Finder?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by askfareed, Sep 16, 2010.

1. askfareed macrumors member

I have gotten tired of having to drag files to the trash, instead is there a way i can send it to the trash without having to drag it?

After searching a lot i found i could do it if i held cmd + backspace, but that requires two hands and means i have to take my right hand of the mouse, instead can't i just use the delete key instead of cmd+backspace?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Pretty easy to test and see if you can, right?
    Just tried it... nope, guess you can't... sorry :eek:

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How lazy has our society become, if it's a chore to move two fingers an inch or two???

If you want to use the keyboard: Command+Delete
    If you want to use the mouse to drag: Drag to the Trash
    If you want to use the mouse, but not drag: Right-click and select "Move to Trash" (one hand, no dragging required)
    It can't get any simpler than that.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Wow, déjà vu. I think I saw this thread last year or so. With MacDawg giving the same response. Hmmm.

OP, I can use one hand to delete my files, by using the thumb to press down the CMD key on the right side of the Space Bar and using the index/ring/little finger to press down the Backspace key. I can also delete files by right clicking on them and selecting "Move to Trash".

The left hand can still do what it does best... the lazy Geoff Peterson is envious of that and is angry at Customs I guess.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Hey! Hey! No need to go into that! :D (I'm sure you meant holding your coffee cup!)

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What can I say, Sid is cussing (again, really, who would have thought) and the robot skeleton is in everyone's pants, thus my lazy assumption, that using two hands might be better for some jobs involving commandeering the deletion of certain files pertaining to the illusion of arousal found on one's computer - call them or it personal if she likes it - but having the left hand free with all the extra little limbs will get someone else to a place one might call "Valhalla", even though the graphic image inducted by this confusing sentence might not do well with certain characters, especially the special ones, like * or #, and don't even think of that German umlaut Ö.

Anyway, what was I not going to say again? I confuse myself. :D

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Fixed that for you. NOW it makes sense! :D

8. askfareed thread starter macrumors member

i am too used to just pressing the delete button on windows, is there no way of doing this so instead of using cmd and backspace i just have to press the delete button that is there on my keyboard and has never ever been used????

Everyone who has come from windows i know is having this little annoyance and i just wanted to know f there is a way to change this.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's a different operating system. It just takes getting used to. It's actually better that you have to think about deleting a file, so you're less likely to do so accidentally. If you want a true Windows experience, why move to a Mac?

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Pretty bastard, did you do that automatically or by hand(s)? ;)

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I did it with my Mac! They're pretty handy sometimes!

12. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

No more thought is involved pressing two keys than one, either way becomes second nature. Using a key marked 'Delete' to, well, delete files would seem a pretty obvious thing to do.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As others have stated, and even your own post indicates that with a new OS, there's some differences, that one has to get used to it.

For instance in windows you can cut/paste files but with Finder there's no way that's possible. You need to use an application like Path Finder.

There does some some key-remapper apps out there, google them. From what I've seen, it looks like the odds of them breaking with an update from apple, seems pretty high.

My advise is to retrain your fingers to use the new key combination. Its like learning a new password at work. For the first week, you keep typing the old one, but then you start remembering the new one. give it some time and you'll get used to it.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're less likely to accidentally press the Command and Delete keys at the same time than accidentally pressing the Delete key alone. You have to think to press Command+Delete. You can accidentally press the Delete key, reaching across the keyboard for your mouse.

15. askfareed thread starter macrumors member

I don't want a true windows experience, this is literally the ONLY thing i have a small problem with.

I don't see why people post if they can't actually help with the problem, i never asked for anyone's opinions about whether this is lazy or not. It's simply what a lot of people are used to and the fact that there is the button on the keyboard meant me think that it should have a purpose.

16. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Congratulations, that may be the most ridiculous justification I've ever read on here.

17. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If you go to System Preferences->Keyboard you can add Keyboard Shortcuts for Menu Items,

If you go to Application Shortcuts, click the + sign, select Finder, and type in "Move to Trash" as the menu item you can assign it a single key. Unfortunately you can't use the delete key. I tried it with F13 and it worked perfectly.

That's the best solution I can come up with.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're entitled to your opinion. As the Delete key is on the outer edge of the keyboard, especially on the Apple Wireless Keyboard, that's a real possibility. It's much more of a possibility than accidentally pressing Command and Delete at the same time, which is my point. If the concept went over your head, I can't help you.

19. askfareed thread starter macrumors member

Thats a good solution, now is there anyway i can remap the delete key to F13, for Finder only?

20. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Not what you're looking for, but to complete the options (unless there's still another) you can put a delete button in the Finder Window toolbar. Still requires using the mouse, but no dragging.

21. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Reread what you quoted. You can specify the shortcut to apply to Finder only by selecting it from the drop down.

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Do you not type with both hands? You have to move your hand off the mouse anyway.

BTW, get a multi-button mouse, you can map the command to a mouse button if you care.

It's a dream within a dream!

23. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

"We're just, uh, characters in that old lady's dream. She's on her deathbed, fantasizing about her youth."