Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deltalimayankeeuniform

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
Hi have a macbook pro running 10.8.5 with 500 gb of memory. I got an alert saying that my start up disk was almost full. I looked through my files and I have 1 file named image.dd taking up 425 gb. Can I delete it to help my start up disk memory issue?

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
Hi have a macbook pro running 10.8.5 with 500 gb of memory. I got an alert saying that my start up disk was almost full. I looked through my files and I have 1 file named image.dd taking up 425 gb. Can I delete it to help my start up disk memory issue?

back it up first and then delete it on the internal disk. nothing to lose.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You very likely can delete that file without any problems. It is likely the result of an errant dd command.

deltalimayankeeuniform

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
I'm not familiar with it, but a quick google seems to indicate it is a disk image. I have studied the links, but here is my google search link:
https://www.google.com/#q=image.dd

Thanks. I just realized that this may have been a result of me using some "sudo" (?) commands while trying to recover some deleted files I put in the trash and emptied. I used the terminal to do this. I'm not a computer wizard so I probably shouldn't have done this but I followed some directions in a video and everything seemed to work fine, besides the 425 gb file i created. Now, I'm not sure if I should delete it to free up space.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks. I just realized that this may have been a result of me using some "sudo" (?) commands while trying to recover some deleted files I put in the trash and emptied. I used the terminal to do this. I'm not a computer wizard so I probably shouldn't have done this but I followed some directions in a video and everything seemed to work fine, besides the 425 gb file i created. Now, I'm not sure if I should delete it to free up space.
Open Terminal again and hit the up arrow over and over and it will cycle back through the previous commands you entered there. See if you can do that and figure out what the command was that caused this, then post it here so we can take a look.

deltalimayankeeuniform

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
Here's What I get:

XXXXX-MacBook-Pro:~ XXXXX$
XXXXX-MacBook-Pro:~ XXXXXXX$ ~/Library/Preferences/

XXXXX-MacBook-Pro:~ XXXXXXX$ defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

XXXXX-MacBook-Pro:~ XXXXXXX$ /Users/XXXXXXX/Desktop/testdisk-7.0/testdisk ; exit;

XXXXX-MacBook-Pro:~ XXXXXXX$ /Users/XXXXXXX/Desktop/testdisk-7.0\ 2/testdisk ; exit;

XXXXX-MacBook-Pro:~ XXXXXXX$ sudo rm -R

xxxxx-MacBook-Pro:~ xxxxxxx$ /Users/xxxxxxx/Desktop/testdisk-7.0/testdisk ; exit;

The X's are just redactions. THank you.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That's as far back as it goes. However, this is the video I watched to retrieve the files in the trash folder I emptied:

That would not have done it. Those earlier commands just deleted the recovery utility from your Desktop. Like Intell and CoastalOR mentioned, that .dd file is normally a disk image created by the dd command, so somewhere along the line you must have been doing something with that utility.

deltalimayankeeuniform

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
This .dd file is in the trash now but I haven't emptied the trash. It's taking up 425 gigs so I want to empty it from the trash but I'm not sure if that will completely screw up my computer. I haven't noticed any difference since moving the file to the trash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.