Delete a image.dd file

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deltalimayankeeuniform, Aug 27, 2015.

1. deltalimayankeeuniform macrumors newbie

Hi have a macbook pro running 10.8.5 with 500 gb of memory. I got an alert saying that my start up disk was almost full. I looked through my files and I have 1 file named image.dd taking up 425 gb. Can I delete it to help my start up disk memory issue?

2. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

back it up first and then delete it on the internal disk. nothing to lose.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You very likely can delete that file without any problems. It is likely the result of an errant dd command.

4. CoastalOR, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015

CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I'm not familiar with it, but a quick google seems to indicate it is a disk image. I have not studied the links, but here is my google search link:
    https://www.google.com/#q=image.dd

5. deltalimayankeeuniform thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I just realized that this may have been a result of me using some "sudo" (?) commands while trying to recover some deleted files I put in the trash and emptied. I used the terminal to do this. I'm not a computer wizard so I probably shouldn't have done this but I followed some directions in a video and everything seemed to work fine, besides the 425 gb file i created. Now, I'm not sure if I should delete it to free up space.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Open Terminal again and hit the up arrow over and over and it will cycle back through the previous commands you entered there. See if you can do that and figure out what the command was that caused this, then post it here so we can take a look.

7. deltalimayankeeuniform thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's What I get:

XXXXX-MacBook-Pro:~ XXXXX$
    XXXXX-MacBook-Pro:~ XXXXXXX$ ~/Library/Preferences/

XXXXX-MacBook-Pro:~ XXXXXXX$ defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

XXXXX-MacBook-Pro:~ XXXXXXX$ /Users/XXXXXXX/Desktop/testdisk-7.0/testdisk ; exit;

XXXXX-MacBook-Pro:~ XXXXXXX$ /Users/XXXXXXX/Desktop/testdisk-7.0\ 2/testdisk ; exit;

XXXXX-MacBook-Pro:~ XXXXXXX$ sudo rm -R

xxxxx-MacBook-Pro:~ xxxxxxx$ /Users/xxxxxxx/Desktop/testdisk-7.0/testdisk ; exit;

The X's are just redactions. THank you.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nothing there would have created that file. Anything further back maybe?

9. deltalimayankeeuniform thread starter macrumors newbie

That's as far back as it goes. However, this is the video I watched to retrieve the files in the trash folder I emptied:

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That would not have done it. Those earlier commands just deleted the recovery utility from your Desktop. Like Intell and CoastalOR mentioned, that .dd file is normally a disk image created by the dd command, so somewhere along the line you must have been doing something with that utility.

11. deltalimayankeeuniform thread starter macrumors newbie

This .dd file is in the trash now but I haven't emptied the trash. It's taking up 425 gigs so I want to empty it from the trash but I'm not sure if that will completely screw up my computer. I haven't noticed any difference since moving the file to the trash.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you have rebooted with it in the trash, and all is well, I'd say it it safe to delete (empty trash).

13. deltalimayankeeuniform thread starter macrumors newbie