Delete a pairing between the remote and Dock

jacobyguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Hello,
I have an apple remote that pairing to my dock, and not my Imac. How can i switch that?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm not sure if this will do what you want, but it's worth a shot:

Pairing the Apple Remote with the iPod Universal Dock
To reset the dock to work with all remotes
  1. Make sure other products that are compatible with the remote are powered off.
  2. Connect the dock to your computer or to an electrical outlet.
  3. Put an iPod in the dock and turn the iPod on.
  4. Point the remote at the front of the dock.
  5. Press and hold the Menu and Previous/Rewind buttons together for about six seconds.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
It didn't work ):
How it didn't work?

Keep in mind that "Delete a pairing between remote and iPod dock" means your Apple Remote becomes universal Remote for any Apple devices with IR receiver. That includes most of the Macs, Apple TV, and iPod dock.

So whatever you do, it will always work with your Dock. Since it will only switch between "discrete remote for your Dock" or "universal Apple Remote which also works for your Dock, and any Apple devices".

But when the remote paired with your Dock, it won't work with anything else, only with your iPod dock. So to test whether your remote has been unpaired or not, test it to another Apple devices with IR receiver, if it works too, then it's been unpaired succesfully.

To pair it again to a specific Apple device, use [Next] button instead of [Previous] button from GGJStudios' post.