Delete a photo album

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sam-i-am, May 31, 2012.

1. sam-i-am macrumors member

Guys I'm at the end of my rope here - please help me out!

I have thousands of photos and tons of albums. I need to delete a few albums' photos. How can I do this?

After an hour of searching and banging my head against the wall I have only found a way to delete photos individually - which wouldn't be so bad, except that you can't do it within an album. So I have to sift through thousands of photos and find each individual one from an album to delete them one by one, which will take weeks.

So my only other option to clear up storage on my iPad is to format it. Is there some app in the cydia store that can manage photos?

But iPhoto can't be this ridiculously retarded can it? Surely there is some option hiding right under my nose! Surely Steve didn't expect us to just buy a new iPad every time our old one fills up with photos? Right? RIGHT?!

2. sam-i-am thread starter macrumors member

Three hours, a jailbreak, and a useless $7 cydia app later - it looks like this is impossible. What a complete joke. There is no way to do basic photo management on the iPad, or on the computer, or in any other conceivable way. If your iPad gets full of pictures the easiest thing to do is to format the entire thing.

UNBELIEVABLE.

"iPad Full? Buy a new iPad!" - Apple.

3. Night Spring, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Do you have a computer? Not sure how it works on a Mac, but on a Windows computer, if you attach an iPad with pictures on it, the iPad shows up as an camera, and you can go in to the picture folder and delete the pictures, or move them to your computer.

I think Apple never intended for peoplle to manage thousands of pictures from the camera roll. The camera rol was conceived as a temporary holding place for pictures until people could get back to their computers. Originally, you couldn't even create albums from pictures in the camera roll, you had to get home, copy them to your computer, organize them into folders on the computer, then sync them back. Adding the "create album" funcition was a good idea, but it created a different set of problems, because people need a way to remove a picture from an album without deleting it (as in when they want to reorganize their albums), as well as a way to delete it completely off the iPad. Imagine having both a delete and remove button in an album, and people pushing the wrong button and deleting pictures they wanted to keep! The hue! The outcry! Wailing and weeping! So I don't blame Apple for erring on the side of caution.

4. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Easy - keep deleting as the trash can, put the other option under the move/share menu. And if they'd let you actually move pics to albums (the thing that "useless" tweak is good for), it'd be even clearer because you could have a "move back to camera roll" option.

Apple needs to pull its head out of its ass and realize that the iPad has the potential to be an excellent way to organize and edit photos, and that a lot of people want to use it for that. you're right, they didn't plan for that, but they should really respond to the customer demand and clean up all the little details that are getting in the way.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, let's give them a chance and wait and see what iOS 6 brings. They had a ton of stuff to do to get iCloud ready for iOS 5, so I'm willing to forgive that they didn't get the photo stuff quite right.

What I really want is for them to fix the Music app -- it was perfectly fine in iOS 4, and then they broke it in iOS 5. :(

6. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm hoping that the improved camera on the 3 and the introduction of iPhoto are signs that they're going to get serious about this in iOS 6.