Delete ALL Downloaded Fonts

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by A.Stott, Aug 2, 2014.

1. A.Stott macrumors newbie

I want to delete every single font I have downloaded, that did not come standard with my Macbook.

I have both, my installation disk & application disk.

Now technically, I don't want to have to delete them one by one, but if I have too as the last resort, that's fine. But, if I was to do them one by one, how do I know which fonts came with my laptop as standard, and which ones I downloaded.

I have around 270 fonts in total.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

On most systems, all non-default fonts are in /Library/Fonts and ~/Library/Fonts. You should be able to safely delete both of those Fonts folders and restart. Do not delete or alter the /System/Library/Fonts folder. That is where all the default fonts live and deleting those will cause problems.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Be aware that some applications install fonts and will not operate and/or display properly if the associated fonts are deleted.

4. A.Stott thread starter macrumors newbie

So what's the way around this then? I mean, I have around 280 fonts so how would I know which ones have been installed by softwares, and which ones I installed myself?

Also, can anyone else confirm what Intell said? Am I safe to do this.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The most common program that will complain is Microsoft Office 2011. It'll still work, but most of the fonts will be missing. Office 2004 and 2008 will just reinstall the missing fonts.

6. A.Stott thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

How do I access ~/Library/Fonts?

I am aware how to access /Library/Fonts, but whats the "~"?

7. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

"~" means user's.

~/Library is the user's Library.

From OS Lion, the user's Library is hidden by default.

To reveal it : Finder / Go + press the Alt key : the Library shows up in the list.

You can drag the Library to the side bar of the Finder for an easy access.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The ~ is UNIX speak for the user's home folder. In Mac OS X 10.7 and newer, you can access it by click on the Go menu in, selecting Go to Folder, and pasting in that address. That'll take you directly to the Fonts folder in your user home folder.