Delete all other versions of MS office on different computers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Yvette9510, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Yvette9510 macrumors newbie

I have a genuine version of Microsoft Office on my Macbook Pro, but I gave it to everybody I know, not knowing I could only copy one. So now my version is being used by at least 10 different people I dont even see anymore. How can I delete their versions without using their computers?? I keep getting messages that I cannot use Word because it is already in use by somebody else (or sometimes I even get specific names).

I dont want to reinstall my own version because I dont have the productkey anymore, I just want all the other people being stopped using my version. Is there a way to do this? Or can I change my license so that no one can use it anymore except me? I just dont want my name showing up at random computers which happen to have my copy.

Thanks in advance!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't. Sometimes software piracy comes back to bite you!

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If you guys are all on the same network (like the same wireless network, at a school for example), that's why it kicks you off. You could disconnect your computer from the Internet and THEN open Word, and it'll work just fine.

But this will probably get to be rather annoying after a while.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) Recognize you did something wrong - software piracy
    2) Recognize that unless you can prove to Microsoft you purchased the original copy and have a valid product key, you are SOL
    3) Contact all your friends and request they delete their copies (but I am sure this test of friendship will be failed by several of them; in any event, even if they all delete their copies, you still have to contact Microsoft and be able to prove #2).
    4) Be prepared to purchase a new, full version of Office

5. Yannick macrumors member

May I suggest an alternative?

I suggest that you give a try to OpenOffice.org. I think that it meets the need of at least 90% of the people. Plus it will free you from Microsoft's bounds. After being a user of MS Office for many years, I switched to OpenOffice.org and I am happy. Never have I to buy another iteration of MS Office. OpenOffice.org is free, open source, open and save to MS formats,… Here is the website where you can download it:
    http://www.openoffice.org/

There is also a fork from OpenOffice.org, called NeoOffice. It's not fundamentally different, it puts a little more effort to be "Mac friendly". Their website is:
    http://www.neooffice.org

You can download both and use them, and see for yourself which one meets your needs best.

Regards,
    Yannick

6. Yvette9510 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for all the replies. I know I did something wrong and I dont really mind buying a new version of Office, but won't I get any problems with the copied versions? Because my name (and address) always shows up at my friend's computer when she opens Word. And she even shared the version with her friends and so on...