delete all photos from iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AnonymousJosh, Jan 14, 2015.

1. AnonymousJosh macrumors newbie

seems like a common problem, but i'm sorry--i can't seem to find the answer on another thread. i have an iPhone 5. with only 16 gigs it fills up quickly, so from time to time i open Image Capture and delete all the photos there, but when i open iTunes, it still tells me that i have 3 gigs worth of 1100 photos on my phone. how do i remove ALL photos from my phone?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Make sure that iTunes isn't syncing any photos back to the phone. Check where you'd pick TV shows or Movies or Music. There's a place to sync photos to the phone for viewing. Make sure that's off.

3. danny_w macrumors 601

I've got the same problem on my iPad2 and Photo sunc is unchecked.

4. AnonymousJosh thread starter macrumors newbie

nothing is set to 'sync'. for a second it says warning 1.2 gigs over capacity and then it just goes back to telling me i have 3gigs of 1100 photos on my phone.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

On the phone go to SETTINGS > GENERAL > ABOUT

Does the number of photos there agree with that number? I don't know if that will help us or not, but I'm curious to know.

6. AnonymousJosh thread starter macrumors newbie

the settings say 1,090 photos. itunes says 3.04gigs of 1,101 photos. ah, looks like Image Captures deletes all from "Camera Roll" but leaves everything in "My Photo Stream" and "Recently Deleted" and "Instagram". My Photo Stream has 995. Please let me know how i can delete this "feature"? i don't want the album at all but apple won't let me remove it.

7. alFR macrumors 68020

Maybe try looking in Settings (where you will, with minimal effort, find a toggle to turn Photo Stream off) before you conclude that Apple has some sort of personal vendetta against you? :rolleyes:

8. AnonymousJosh thread starter macrumors newbie

@aIFR THANKS!! Nothing makes me happier than when someone is super condescending with their help. :p

So, i went to Settings/Photos&Camera/ and turned iCloud, MyPhotoStream, and iCloud Photo Sharing. So, now when i open up my albums, there are only two (Camera Roll and Recently Deleted -- a combined total of 17 pictures). However, when i go to iTunes, it tells me there are 2.18gigs worth of 108 photos on my phone.

Anyone have any ideas?

For the record, I didn't suggest that Apple had any sort of "personal vendetta" against me. But as user experience goes, it does seem pretty stupid to take up all this space on my phone and not allow me a simple way to remove all the photos. (e.g. it doesn't tell users in iTunes where the photos are, and the user has to go to the settings folder (which is outside the photo app) to delete the icloud picture set or the photo stream picture set and then has to use Image Capture to collect and delete the camera roll set and then still has to do yet another thing (still unknown which will hopefully remove the 108 photos still taking up 2 gigs). Seriously, if anyone gave :apple: even a little competition, half of us would leave these tax-evading jerks. :D