delete ALL time machine backups one click?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by umbilical, Mar 28, 2011.

1. umbilical macrumors 6502a

hi, Im sick to delete time machines one by one? anyway to delete in 1 click and It would be nice sometime like

"delete all backups exept the last one"

or

"keep just 1 week of backups"

or

"select all the backups that you want delete"

sooooooooo time machine needs more features... I hate delete one by one..

any way?

thanks

2. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

I think it's actually pretty easy. All you have to do is open a Finder window, navigate to your Time Machine volume, select the backups folder, command-delete.

Am I missing something? What could be easier?

3. dcains macrumors regular

Why not just select them all, unselect the latest one you want to save, and then drag the selected files to trash?

4. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

beacuse that is not the proper way to do it, see the offical apple message:

Important: Do not use the Finder to move to the items to the Trash, or to move or delete items in your Time Machine backup repository. The folder containing your Time Machine backup repository is called "Backups.backupd" and is located on the external disk or Time Capsule you have chosen in Time Machine preferences.

5. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

same:

beacuse that is not the proper way to do it, see the offical apple message:

Important: Do not use the Finder to move to the items to the Trash, or to move or delete items in your Time Machine backup repository. The folder containing your Time Machine backup repository is called "Backups.backupd" and is located on the external disk or Time Capsule you have chosen in Time Machine preferences.

6. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

Do they provide a reason for why this shouldn't be done? I can't think of any good reason for this prohibition, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Edit: Could you post the link for where you are reading the official Apple message?

7. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

I note this: if I delete manual takes more time! and the hd read a lot more... if I delete in good way feels that delete well.

8. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

I found the place on Apple's site that you are referring to about not using the Finder. I understand this to mean that the Finder shouldn't be used to delete individual files contained within the backups. Your question, I thought, was focused on the backups as a whole. There doesn't seem to be any problem with deleting entire backups using the Finder.

9. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks, well who cares! haha I go to test and delete via finder! I dont think that nathing wrong happens ;)