Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stage5

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2013
Hey everyone,

I have downloaded a lot of tweaks and I believe some of them may have made my phone slower so what I would like to do is basically refresh everything, lose all my tweaks and start fresh like the first time it was jailbroken. Then I want to only install a few tweaks.

What is the best way to do this?

Thank you.

Missjenna

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2010
Washington
Hey everyone,

I have downloaded a lot of tweaks and I believe some of them may have made my phone slower so what I would like to do is basically refresh everything, lose all my tweaks and start fresh like the first time it was jailbroken. Then I want to only install a few tweaks.

What is the best way to do this?

Thank you.

Semi restore http://semi-restore.com :)

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California

I think he means it's odd that a tool made for iOS devices does not have a Mac compatible version.

----------

I've tried both and I find that semi restore works better for removing everything. It's literally just like a fresh restore, but you are able to keep your jailbreak.

Personally i prefer iLEX since it's device dependent, i've tried Semi Restore recently and it leaves some leftovers without taking care of them, example my Bytafont font was still there after a successful restore.

Missjenna

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2010
Washington
I think he means it's odd that a tool made for iOS devices does not have a Mac compatible version.

----------

Personally i prefer iLEX since it's device dependent, i've tried Semi Restore recently and it leaves some leftovers without taking care of them, example my Bytafont font was still there after a successful restore.

That's strange, I had the exact same problem, but with ilex. Semi restore was able to remove everything for me.

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
That's strange, I had the exact same problem, but with ilex. Semi restore was able to remove everything for me.

Yup, i'm not sure how much wiping either of these tools can do, i could see a bunch of empty removed tweaks folders under system files but overall they do relatively great job, i think maybe Semi-Restore does deeper cleaning, my battery life was absolutely horrible even after using iLEX but improved drastically when i used Semi-Restore it's worth noting though (from what i remember) iLEX can restore while preserving all data on the device( Pictures, apps etc..) Semi-Restore can't do that.

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
Does anyone know if semi-restore works in a virtual environment (VM Fusion) or does it have to be an actual Windows desktop?

TIA

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
This method is much easier and less problematic:

1- Go to Cydia and un-install Cydia Substrate.
2- Make sure iCleaner Pro is still installed.
3- Open iCleaner Pro and tap the + in the lower left corner.
4- Go to Preference files and delete all them that don't have a corresponding tweak installed. Follow up by reinstalling Cydia Substrate.
5- Respring and enjoy you like new jailbroken device.

(Credit to another member for coming up with this terrific idea.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.