Delete Bootcamp / Dual boot, and use parallels?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by GIZBUG, Nov 8, 2016.

1. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Currently dual boot macOS sierra and windows 10.
    What is the easiest method to get rid of the bootcamp/dual boot, and just run parallels in macOS sierra? Is there a way to keep my windows install from the bootcamp, and import/run it from parallels?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Use Boot Camp Assistant to get rid of the Bootcamp partition, then afterwards install Parallels.

I dunno about the second part. Maybe something like Winclone can do this?

https://twocanoes.com/products/mac/winclone

3. Honza1 macrumors member

There is Parallels Transporter, which should enable what you want. You need to run it first - before you get rid of the bootcamp partition (of course) - in Windows and using it "export" the Windows system/data to external drive. Then import to Parallels new VM.
    Warning: often when I tried this, it failed miserably and nothing useful came out of a long procedure. However, it should work, costs nothing, so I would try it.
    I would FIRST install Parallels, and move the bootcamp Windows system into the new Parallels VM and - only after proper testing - remove the bootcamp partition. This way you can go back and test everything if needed. In my experience, this procedure is prone to failures. Sometimes it all worked on second/third attempt (while doing the same steps, go figure...).