Delete Bootcamp partition or resize it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by identity, Oct 5, 2012.

1. identity macrumors 6502

I created a bootcamp partition for Windows 7 for 60gb for my MBP 2012. I installed some programs like 3ds Max, CCleaner, imgburn, open office, and adobe reader. It initially showed that I had around 22gb left. I then installed Visual Basic 2010 Express Edition and now my hard drive space is down to 1.5gb left. I have previously installed VB 2010 in my Windows laptop back in August and it never did what happened to me in bootcamp. How could VB take up 20gb of hard drive? I checked the programs listed in the control panel and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Does anything happen to my Mac partition if I delete the bootcamp partition? I'm guessing it doesn't but just wanted to know before I did anything.

2. xAgustinx macrumors regular

xAgustinx

3. sciguy macrumors newbie

I have the similar problem with my w7 bootcamp. Not everyone caring the issue when they have 500gb and above hdd storage. But after hrs of googling, i found that the pagefile and hibernate took my missing hdd space. Turn them off and you will get them back

4. identity thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow thanks for the info. I deleted my partition a couple hours ago and I tried to install Win 8 RTM but bootcamp wouldn't let me. I'm going to install Win 7 again and this time, use a bigger partition. I'll turn off pagefile and hibernate too so I hope it fixes my problem!

Thanks!

5. JGO macrumors member

If you ever need to resize a partitioned drive that includes a bootcamp partition, then give the program iPartition a try. I have resized a bootcamp partition several times using the program and not experienced any problems.

6. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

Another program I have found useful is Paragon Software's "Camptune X". I have used that to resize my Windows partition a few times and it works flawlessly.

7. jypatl macrumors newbie

I would also recommend Camptune X. I used that and it's perfect, you don't even have to restart your computer or anything it will just do it while you are using it.

8. bigpics, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014

bigpics macrumors 6502

bigpics

I know this is an old thread, but posting here 'cos I found it in my distress, and 'cos I know I'm not the only one in the same boat.....

Thanks for the tips guys.... ...I spent an entire day setting up my Bootcamp - through 171 MS updates, e.g., and based on what others had said, miscalculated partition size... ...32GB and no apps added left me only 2GB of working space and a red warning on the drive icon...

...I got over 6 GB back from turning off hibernate - and here's a simple step by step article (once you realize where a few screen elements referred to are): http://www.ehow.com/how_8192676_turn-off-windows-7-hibernation.html

However, I read a number of articles and discussions about turning off page file and all recommended against it for various reasons, some strongly, so I didn't do that. E.g., http://superuser.com/questions/2146...-be-turned-off-if-4gb-of-hi-speed-ram-present

That said, poking around, looks as if I could salvage another GB or three by deleting the games I'll never play, but 1) they don't appear in Add/Remove Programs and 2) couldn't find an article about whether it's safe to just delete them.

Anyone have a knowledgeable opinion on this....?

Finally, I dunno about others, but on my MBA, the track pad experience in Win 7 is truly AWWFUL - the pointer lags, stops, won't move to some precise targets without difficulty... ...and one reason I came back to choosing a Mad was not liking Win PC track pads. But this is APPLE's best of breed track pad...

...so is the problem Windows itself? Or something about the Boot Camp drivers in anyone's opinion....