Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Audiofile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Hey guys. How do you delete a custom genre in iTunes 7.5 / 7.6?

I know it used to be possible to remove a custom genre from all your music and the custom genre would disappear. This is not the case anymore.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
From: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2007020311224154
Note: I have not tried this myself, and I don't know what it will do if you remove a genre that is currently being used.

"I was rebuilding my iTunes library to clean it up, and every time I went to change an album's genre to Rock, I had to look at Religious first. iTunes comes pre-configured with a long list of genres built in that I never use. So I decided to get rid of them. Here's how to do it. (Note that if this blows up your computer or insults your mother, it is not my fault!)

1. Navigate to /Applications » iTunes.app » Contents » Resources » English.lproj.
2. Open the Localizable.strings file up in a text editor (in my case BEdit).
3. Scroll down until you see /* ===== Genres ===== */
4. Comment out any genres you dont want. I commented all the genres out by placing /* at the beginning, and */ at the end of the list.
5. I also commented out all genres in the /* ===== Reduced Genres ===== */ and the /* ===== CDText Genres ===== */ categories.

Enjoy! The iTunes genres have now vanished from my iTunes library, and all the items labeled with custom genres have remained. As noted, try this at your own risk, as I really don't know if something might break."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.