Delete data but unlock to sell?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vertigo50, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I'm selling my iPhone 3G on either Craigslist or Ebay. I know how to jailbreak and unlock, but I have a question.

What's the best way to wipe all the data from the phone, but still have the phone usable, jailbroken, and unlocked when I sell it? Can someone give me the best steps and order to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Bakakage macrumors 6502

Erase all content and settings, then restore to a custom ipsw. This is what I plan on doing to my 3GS. I listed it on criagslist as unlocked a few hours ago, but no emails yet, hope I get some tomorrow.

3. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Thanks for your reply.

What will the process be like for someone who buys it? If they put a T-Mobile SIM in it and open iTunes, what happens?

4. Bakakage macrumors 6502

Depending on your firmware, iTunes might tell you that you need to update. So make sure you tell the buyer to not update to keep the unlock or you can tell him/her to give you a call if they want iOS4 when it becomes official on the 24th to go through the steps to unlock it if he/she isn't exactly tech savvy.

5. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Is there already a jailbreak and unlock for IOS4????

I hadn't heard that.

6. Bakakage macrumors 6502

No, but there should by/after the 24th. Musclenerd from the Dev Team said so himself. I think there is a blacksn0w patch for 4.0 out now, but I heard it was very buggy and you need to reapply the patched files everytime you reboot the phone.

7. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Hmmm....

I would imagine they probably have a pretty solid hack ready to go, but they don't want to release it early and give Apple the chance to change something and make it not work.

Very smart.

8. xenuprime macrumors 6502

How do I restore to a custom IPSW? Is this the same method I would use on a 3g that has not been unlocked or jailbroken yet?

9. TeamDNA macrumors 6502

or use iwipe through cydia.. so not restoring is involved at all

10. laz305 macrumors regular

so i have my 3GS 4.0 unlocked and need to sell. What's the best way to delete my info but keep jailbreak/unlock?