delete duplicate videos(!) imported into Photos

Discussion in 'macOS' started by llcameron, Mar 8, 2018.

1. llcameron macrumors newbie

THere are about a million different ways to identify duplicate photos on either Mac or iOS, but I have yet to find any way to identify duplicate VIDEOS! I have accidently imported into Photos thousands of videos from multiple locations, so now I have a real mess having three or four different imports of the same video.

The video files were different filenames, so the import succeeded.

ANyone know of a reliable way to identify and remove duplicate identical videos on mac Photos app?? help!

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Under your User/Pictures directory, right click on the Photos Library icon and choose "Show Package Contents. All my videos are located in a subdirectory "00". The full path would be /Users/*yourusername*/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/resources/media/master/00

Once you're there, I would think it's simply a matter of sorting by size and identifying the duplicates first by exact file size match then by manually previewing to be sure. You should be able to delete the duplicates from here.

3. llcameron thread starter macrumors newbie

that sounds like it could work. but when I navigate to the /Users/my_user_name/Pictures directory, the Photos Library.photoslibrary is greyed out in the finder window and won't let navigate any deeper into the directory. any ideas why?

Or maybe this is only something that would work from the Terminal cmdline?

4. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Wouldn't think so. I just right clicked on the Photos Library icon in the Pictures folder. When you select Show package contents, those directories should be opened in a new window.

Attached Files: