Delete email from iPhone and server - how?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrMister111, Jun 7, 2013.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

I have an iPhone 5 with all my email accounts setup on it, works great. I have my ISP (Virgin), Gmail, Talk21 (Yahoo), iCloud and a Hotmail one.

I only really use webmail now, beforehand on PCs I used to use Outlook, but since I got my iMac I've recently just setup Mail on there with the same accounts.

So what I want to do is of I delete an email on my iPhone can it be deleted so I don't see it when I go on my iMac on Mail, and be deleted from the server? At the moment if for example delete on my iPhone an ISP email, I then log in via a browser webmail ISP the email is still there.

Can anyone help?
    Cheers

2. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure which client you're referring to but I know with some you have to turn archiving off in the email account settings, then it removes the message from the server.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

We need more details on your "webmail" account. It sounds like it is set up as a POP account. Your account would have to support a protocol that provides syncing capability -- like IMAP. Check with your email provider.

4. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Sorry I just mean I log onto my webmail using a browser. My ISP in UK is virgin.

I have other accounts as described above. Hotmail, Gmail, Talk21 (Yahoo).

How do I set these on my iPhone so when I delete on iPhone it deletes off the server/account of the relevant mail - Hotmail, gmail etc.

Cheers

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I don't think you can get IMAP with Yahoo unless you pay (which is stupid). As for your ISP account, you have to check with them on how to setup using their IMAP protocol and not POP. Gmail and iCloud are automatically IMAP if available and deleting on one device deletes on the servers and other devices. On Gmail (on your iPhone), you have to turn off Archive Messages in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and select the Gmail account. There should be a toggle on the bottom saying "Archive Messages". Turn that off.

As for Hotmail, I have no clue if you can get IMAP access or have to pay or something. iCloud is automatically going to work unless you messed with the settings after initial setup. It works exactly how you expect it to. Delete on iPhone = delete everywhere including server and your iMac.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

So if your ISP is like many ISPs in the US, it uses the POP protocol for transferring email. The POP protocol does not allow for keeping things in sync between various devices. The example you gave of deleting an email on your iPhone, but having that email NOT delete when you check your email via webmail in a browser, is the classic example of how POP works.

IMAP is the protocol that allows devices to sync changes like "deletions" back to the server, which keeps everything in sync. Not every email provider supports it, which can make things suck for customers not using webmail.