Delete email on all Mac's from one source?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Heater, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Heater macrumors member

I have an iMac, MBP,MBA,iPad and iPhone. I have all of them getting my email. Is there anyway deleting a message on one of the iDevice's and it follow through to the rest of them?

2. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

You have to use an IMAP based mail account. For example lets take Gmail. There are two ways to set it up on your devices, either POP or IMAP. Most people today set it up using the IMAP protocol precisely because of what you are trying to accomplish. Once you have it set up with IMAP, then it will affect all devices when you do something in mail on any of the devices. Whether its delete, mark as read, move to another folder etc etc etc.

For whichever email provider you have just search Google for, "How to set up (name of email provider) using IMAP". That should get you the information you need.

3. Heater thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help. I researched it today, I have Cox as an ISP and they only support imap on business accounts.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd set up a free Gmail account and use that instead of Cox's email.

5. Heater thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking of doing that however, I have had the cox account for a long time and have a lot of important information going to it daily

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

During the transition, you should be able to set up automatic forwarding from your Cox account to your Gmail account.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh...

Gmail can pull in email from POP accounts forever.

I have multiple "old" email addresses set up this way.

Do this. You'll be very happy.