Delete emails from Yahoo

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LaCosta, Jun 12, 2016.

1. LaCosta macrumors member

I have an old Yahoo account with emails containing attachments and information I like to retain. Would like to remove it from the Yahoo server so it is not accessible on Yahoo remotely....but resident on my Mac hard drive or other storage device.

I can't seem to figure out a way to get it off the Yahoo server. I tried to archive it, but it still is seen by my other devices.

Does anyone know of a way to retain the emails using the Apple Mail on a Mac with attachments while it not being on the server?

2. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Is the Yahoo account IMAP or POP3?

Are you accessing using webmail or Apple Mail?

3. LaCosta thread starter macrumors member

IMAP and using Apple Mail..... thanks

4. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Create a new mailbox in Mail by pulling down the Mailbox menu to New Mailbox. Choose the option to create the mailbox "on my Mac".

Then drag and drop all the mail from the Yahoo mailbox to the new mailbox you created. Once you are satisfied that you have all the mail in your new mailbox, delete all the mail from your Yahoo mailbox. Then delete all the mail from the Yahoo trash.

5. LaCosta thread starter macrumors member

This is the solution to my question! It works !!! Thanks.

btw...is there any way to create subfolders for the "on my Mac" mailboxes?

6. JohnDS macrumors 65816

If you want to add a subfolder, just select the parent folder and click on the + button. The pop up window appears with the parent folder identified. All you have to do is type in the name of the subfolder.

7. LaCosta thread starter macrumors member

What I meant was.... adding a third level subfolder. Example: 1. "on my Mac"... 2. new mail box 3. >subfolder<

Perhaps that is not an available feature.