Delete emails on iPhone, but not server

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by linearphone, Aug 29, 2008.

1. linearphone macrumors newbie

Hello,

I currently have my iPhone connected to our Exchange server. Is there a way to delete the emails on my iPhone, but not delete them on my Exchange/Outlook account??

Thanks-Shannon

2. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Not that I'm aware of.

Why do you want to be able to delete emails from the iPhone though? If its to save space, why not just make sure you only sync 3 days of emails.

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Emails are not actually downloaded to the phone. This is why there is no way to delete them from the phone only. What you see on the phone is what you are seeing on the server.

4. iiqwertyii macrumors newbie

Seriously? I always thought that the emails were actually downloaded to the phone.

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes, this is how the iPhone has always worked.

6. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Your statement is not 100% correct. If you are using activesync (which the OP is), then emails are downloaded to the iPhone and can be viewed when the phone is out of network range or in airplane mode. However, activesync works in a very similar fashion as IMAP in that any changes made to emails on the iPhone are made at the Exchange server level as well.

Thus if emails are deleted on the phone they are deleted in the users Exchange mailbox. The same is true if they are moved to other folders, replied to or forwarded.

The same is true for calendars and contacts.

My suggestion to the OP is to setup a folders in your exchange mailbox and you can move emails to those folders from your inbox. These folders will also sync with your iPhone (there are some quirks with how these folders update with activesync on the iPhone, so heads up).

Hope that helps.