Delete file history for Docked apps

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seeafish, Jul 6, 2011.

1. seeafish macrumors newbie

Hi. Been scouring the net and forums for an answer to this. Hope someone here can help.

Everytime you open files using various applications, the dock icon itself seems to remember a kind of "most recent" list of these files. I wish to delete this history, but can't seem to find out how!

For example, in your dock ALT+Click (or right click) on TextEdit, Xcode, TextWrangler, Word, WHATEVER. You should see files you have previously opened. That's the history list I wish to clear.

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In addition to a "master list" of recent apps/documents found at  > Recent Items, each app has its own Recent Items list. For example, launch TextEdit and click File > Open Recent > Clear Menu to clear that list. On some apps, like Word, you can right-click on the Word icon on the Dock and select Open Recent > Clear Recent.

3. seeafish thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried the File > Recent > Clear option in apps that support it, however, it doesn't clear the dock's history list.
    Yeah I noticed that in word you can clear that list, but that seems to be the only app so far! :( It is essentially that option I need for other apps. Surely there's a way to do this.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apparently it depends on the app, since the Dock list is just a reflection of the app's list. For example, if you clear recent from Word, the list on the dock icon is also cleared.

5. seeafish thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm... shame. I'll go digging in the app's plist etc see if I can find anything.