delete files from garageband?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scooterguitar, Mar 12, 2008.

1. scooterguitar macrumors regular

I was playing around with garageband and want to delete a demo file i made. I tried to drga it into the trahs bin but it won't delete it.
    When I open the window in gb, it won't allow delete as an option.
    Has to be something very simple I am missing.
    New to a Mac is frsutrating. I've been through all the tutorials over and over, just need more time of diving in and seeing where I can go I guess.
    Thanks

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

So, you want to delete the Garage Band project you made? You'd need to open the folder where you saved it in the Finder and then drag that to the trash. Garage Band would need to be closed at the time, of course—if you have the file open it won't delete. It's just like deleting a file in Windows, you'd go into a Windows explorer window and delete the file.

3. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

I can't figure it out still.
    I deleted the tracks within GB, but when I oen GB and open exisiting projects they are still there, well the titeles, but the music is gone. The properties still reads that they are taking up space.

I just go to the GFinder (upper left corner) and about, pref, empty trash, secure trash, services, hide, and hide others comes up.
    What does the finder do?

4. wh!plash macrumors member

The Finder is basically your desktop, or your shell. In Windows, its what you would call 'Explorer'.

Think of it this way: the way the menu bar works on the top of the screen, you always see the name of the application thats *currently* in the foreground. When garageband is up, you see its name and its menu at the top of the screen. now click on your desktop. 'Finder' is listed, and the menu changes to the context of the desktop (create new folders, etc).

In windows you just never see the name of it, except when you get an error the 'Explorer has performed an illegal operation and is being shut down' :rolleyes::D

As for your file, make sure garaband is closed, then click on your saved file. Now press Apple+I to bring up the Get Info screen (same as Properties on windows). Make sure the file is not locked, and that your name is the 'owner' with read/write permissions.

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

You need to go to where the file is stored on your hard drive, in Finder. If you saved it in the default location, it's in your user folder under Music/Garage Band. If you double click on your hard drive on the desktop, your home folder is in the sidebar with a home icon. Then double click on "Music" and then "Garage Band" and find the file you want to delete. Click it, and then drag it to the trash.

Did you never do any file management in Windows ever?

6. keyhano macrumors newbie

I'm new too. If you have iMac I figured it out and it's very easy. Make sure Garageband is closed first or it will not work.

1. Click the 'Macintosh HD' icon on your desktop. A folder will pop up.
    2. In each list, click first the 'Users' folder.
    3. Then click on your home administrator.
    4. Then click on the 'Music' folder.
    5. Then 'Garageband' folder.
    6. Walah! All the projects you want to delete are infront of you.

Just drag it to your trash. Use SHIFT to highlight a bunch of projects. Be careful NOT to delete the wrong projects. Hope this helps!