Delete Firefox History - Completeley

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jaded-mandarin, Mar 8, 2009.

1. jaded-mandarin macrumors regular

Tools > Clear Private Data > Select All, only seems to delete everything back to a certain date. So when I start to type Google in the address bar, I get some stupid old Google search from a few months back. It happens with some other older sites too.

What can I do to erase all my history? I'm not covering my tracks or anything, just have some annoying things pop up in the address bar that aren't relevant.

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I never noticed this problem with Firefox. Are these pages stored in your bookmarks? I think it will skip over bookmarked pages.

3. jaded-mandarin thread starter macrumors regular

No, no where in bookmarks.

[​IMG]

This was searched 1+ month ago.

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

someones been searching for pr0n in google.

What you are trying to do is clear the autocomplete cache, the method to clear it isnt in the same place as your history. Im sorry i can do it on a PC version of Firefox, but i just checked and the way to clear it on the Mac version isn't there.

5. jaded-mandarin thread starter macrumors regular

Ok cheers for you info, btw that woman is an artist.

:p

6. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

If you download the extension I linked you to, it reverts back to the old bar style, and won't do what you're saying.

Also, the little search bar to the right of your address bar IS google :p

7. jaded-mandarin thread starter macrumors regular

I don't want the old style bar, more a solution to fix the current problem outright.

8. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

What good is the new style bar if you're going to delete your history every session? That's its only function.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

When was the last time you looked at places.sqlite ... and dragged it to the trash.

Bookmarks and history are stored here, but if the bookmarks are being backed up they should be reloaded from the backup file. (Won't hurt to go to organize bookmarks and back it up again).

If the file is big and much larger than 1MB it is likely the autofill url for really old sites visited is being sucked in from here.

10. jaded-mandarin thread starter macrumors regular

I don't delete my history every session. I did a lot of research which led me to a lot of sites. I wanted a refresh now it's over, but as you can see some still remain.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

it should, however, i can't try it on my computer now since i have way too much stuff that I dont want to lose

go ahead delete your firefox profile, it would be as clean as it gets.

(backup password and addons)