Delete flash drive via USB port

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by NigelMcC, Oct 31, 2011.

1. NigelMcC macrumors newbie

I had an MBA 11" which worked very well until, I spilt liquid on the keyboard:( Water damage voided the warranty, and a repair at 2/3 the cost of a new machine is not worth it. Although the machine still boots and the memory and finder appear to function, the keyboard and trackpad have failed, and a system error window appears saying the clock is set to 2008, which likely indicates a problem with the CPU. An attempt to use an external USB mouse hangs ...

I need to delete the data on the drive before disposing of the machine ... the battery, screen, and case still have some value. So far I have tried connecting two machines via USB, via USB and Ethernet, via wireless, but I cannot get my new MBA or my Imac to recognize the drive in the damaged MBA.

Any ideas on how I can retrieve/delete the data on the flash drive of the damaged machine?

Thank you all.
    NigelMcC

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Dnix macrumors 6502

If I had another MBA like you do, I'd probably try to put the old SSD in there. Then boot up into an installer disc (or USB now?) and do the 1/7 pass with Disc Utility.

4. NigelMcC thread starter macrumors newbie

If I had another MBA like you do, I'd probably try to put the old SSD in there. Then boot up into an installer disc (or USB now?) and do the 1/7 pass with Disc Utility.

I tried that ... because it is the old Leopard and I upgraded to Lion the week before the accident, the system won't reboot from the SSD.

And this is last years model of the MBA, so it doesn't have thunderbolt.

5. Dnix macrumors 6502

You dont need to boot from the SSD. You just need to boot up into an installer to get into Disc Utility, or use something like DBAN.

6. NigelMcC thread starter macrumors newbie

Fraid that doesn't work, because of the error window sitting in the middle of the screen ... back to trying to find a way of connecting the MBA so that it appears as an external disk on another machine.

7. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

May seem like an outrageous solution, but if you physically don't need the SSD why not break it so it is inoperable. Probably better than a 7x security pass...

8. mstrze macrumors 68000

Agreed. A drill would be a fun and secure way of performing this feat. :eek: Or maybe a heavy-duty shredder?

9. NigelMcC thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the same thought, aka a sledge hammer or a microwave, had occurred to me ... if i can't delete the drive I may end up taking the the case apart and removing the flash drive. Seems such a waste though, the screen and batteries are fine; I shall try and flog them to recoup some of the cost of the replacement!
    Ah well ... the lesson is never open a can of fizzy Japanese beer next to a lap top.
    Cheers
    Nigel McC

10. mstrze macrumors 68000

Or remove the SSD and install in an another machine?

11. ZipZap macrumors 601

Buy an OWC dock for the chip. Then reformat it.
    Sell the SSD and dock.

12. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Will the computer function enough with a external USB keyboard and mouse to either encrypt your disk and trash the keys, or use disk utility to zero out the drive (not good for SSD, but you are scrapping out the computer anyway)?

I certainly wouldn't destroy the SSD if still good, given the cost of them. As posted above, get a external enclosure for it and either keep it, or sell it as a fast external SSD drive. You could at least recoup some of your investment that way.

13. NigelMcC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone.
    To the latest replies, I can't get a blue tooth keyboard working either ... I have suspicion that an old fashioned USB keyboard might work, but I no longer possess one.
    I will try removing the SSD ... and selling/recovering the parts.
    A very expensive and frustrating accident.
    Never mind, nothing important lost, I had three backups, just a load of hassle and frustration.
    Regards and sign off
    NigelMcC

14. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg