Delete folder but not contents

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jazojas12, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

Basically what is going on, I have all of my songs on an SD card for my car stereo. I copied these from iTunes after deleting all the album names (so all songs would be in the same folder). iTunes then put all the songs under the artist but inside a folder called Unknown Album.

So I'm wondering if there is a way to delete this Unknown Album folder for all of my music and then put the songs under the artist directly.
    I know I can do it manually by copy/pasting/deleting but with a few thousand songs this would be endless.

Thanks for any help.

In case in matters I'm running Snow Leopard.

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Personally, I would open the terminal and used the mv or combination of find and mv to do the task.

I would have told you the exact command to type, but I don't quite understand the file structure you were trying to describe. You can figure it out by reading the man pages. To do this, open the terminal and type "man mv" or "man find".

3. Jazojas12 thread starter macrumors regular

File structure is like this:
    SD Card>Artist>Unknown Album>Songs

I want to change it so it's SD Card>Artist>Songs

4. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Seems like you should do the following:

- Delete your iTunes library
    - Set iTunes to build a library with all of the artists and albums identified
    - Add to the library all of the songs on your SD card
    - Clear your SD card
    - Copy the folders from iTunes Music over to the SD card

5. Jazojas12 thread starter macrumors regular

I want to select the artist and go right to the songs, not through any other folders.

6. mrgraff, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013

mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

- You could sort by Artist in iTunes, select all of the songs by a particular artist, then press Cmd+I (Get Info).
    - Assign all of the songs to the same album.
    - Then after copying over the library, you will find one folder under each artist.
    - Move all of the songs back up one folder to the artist's name, and then delete that album folder.

There's probably a more elegant way, but that should work?

7. Jazojas12 thread starter macrumors regular

That's basically what I did..I just deleted all the album info. iTunes then puts all the songs for one artist into a folder titled Unknown Album. I tried for a while to get iTunes to just put songs under the artist folder but no luck.