Delete from Finder?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by alexat17, Jul 19, 2014.

1. alexat17 macrumors newbie

Hi there, can anyone please help?

I have almost 8000 photos in my finder on my Imac, if I delete these photos from finder will they automatically be deleted from Iphoto or pictures? I dont want to completely delete them, just trying to free up space and organise a little.

Thanks!

2. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

It depends where they are in Finder.

If you have an iPhoto Library then those pictures could also be in there. How did you add them to iPhoto in the first place? If you dragged them in and you have "copy to library" setting on then those files are duplicated and you can safely delete the ones in the Finder.

Before you delete them, make doubly sure that iPhoto is storing the photos in its Library - check the size of the iPhoto Library in your Pictures folder to see if it's roughly the right size. Also check a few random photos in iPhoto itself - click one and select File > view in Finder > Original and see where they are located. If iPhoto thinks the original file is one of the files you are looking to delete then *do not delete*, but if it's pointing to an image inside the iPhoto Library package then you are good to go (assuming it's not these pics you are looking to delete).

3. simsaladimbamba

How did you find those 8.000 photos/images in Finder?

4. alexat17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies guys.

I just went to finder and saw that there were 1000s of photos, so i highlighted half of them and sent to trash.

Thing i don't understand is why there are so many duplicates, there are literally 1000's of them. I think that out of the 8000 photos 4000 are duplicates.

Problem now is that 8000 of them are in the trash can (un emptied) and now they seem to be all jumbled up and some pictures appear bigger, as if the faces have been zoomed in on.

It would take literally hours to go through them all and check if they are still in iphoto (I also have a separate folder with pictures not sure why?).
    Maybe i should try and put them all back into finder from the trash (is this possible?), and get one of those photo duplicator apps?

Apoligies, i really struggle with the